Jestersix

Anyone in the Bay Area can fix glass fish tank? My 65G has developed a seam leak.

Anyone in the Bay Area can fix glass fish tank? My 65G has developed a seam leak. There is no crack.
It is an odd size 36x15x32 and I could not easily replace it.
It is old so it should be re-siliconed on all seams.
I can drop off and pickup. Or if easier, on site service.
Union City CA 94587

IMG_20211213_121338.jpg

Neat dims.

Usually this means tearing the tank apart and apply new silicone. It's a PITA project. especially the glass is thin and has the black protection plastic trim. Very easy to crack the glass and difficult to remove the trim.

Speaking from experience.

Been looking for a 36L by (15 to 18)W by (28 - 32)H tank.
If u have one, I am interested.
New one is 5-6 weeks wait as it has to be a custom made for fitment.

Last edited:
The height is quite odd for a tank that isn't custom, although maybe some custom tank makers use that black trim too?

That said I don't know anyone that does tank repair really, every sort of repair I've seen has been done as a labor of love aka "this will be cheaper then getting a new tank" and well that's definitely been questionable

Yes, I am not the first owner and when I bought it few years back, it was already old looking. It is an odd size but it perfectly fits my space.
I will try to DIY this weekend. I will try to document the process to share here. If I fail, it will be one less tank to maintain.
With this hobby, u gonna need to have many skills - plumbing, chemist, biologist, mover, electrician. It is like a master hobby for hobbies. Now I have to learn how to build / fix fish tank.

Last edited:
That tall of a tank has a lot of pressure on the lower seams, so be a bit careful with that.
You might even want to add some glass strips on the lower part, like eurobracing.

Doing all that in one weekend may not be so easy. Don't push it, you will make mistakes.

Clean old silicone off glass REALLY well.
Do not go cheap on new silicone brand.

That tall of a tank has a lot of pressure on the lower seams, so be a bit careful with that.
You might even want to add some glass strips on the lower part, like eurobracing.

Doing all that in one weekend may not be so easy. Don't push it, you will make mistakes.

Clean old silicone off glass REALLY well.
Do not go cheap on new silicone brand.

I have a 48x24x20h panels all cleaned if you want to assemble it.

+1 on the smaller one.
Plus I have always felt that while Tall and Thin tanks work well in fresh water, they are not really ideal for reef tanks.

That's a tough size to match. If you add an few inches of overhang to the front and back with a thick piece of wood or material you may have more options. Exotic aquarium in Sacramento had an obscene amounts of dry tanks with some odd sizes as well last time I was there been a few years plus they had several hundred display tanks. Custom Aquariums had a close match but expensive and shipping will probably be a couple hundred on top..
Sorry to hear about your tank best of luck!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-12-14-14-21-24.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-12-14-14-21-24.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 109
  • Screenshot_2021-12-14-14-28-53.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-12-14-14-28-53.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 105
Actually this truvu would be perfect but it takes 6-7 weeks to get delivered.

2021-12-14 18_35_03-65 Gallon Freshwater Acrylic Aquarium _ TRUVU Aquariums.jpg

Mine is a 65G and already too small for the 10" porcupine puffer and 6" stars+stripes puffer. No matter how often I change water, nitrate still high. I can't keep them in a 40G breeder. The wet bar has 24" width (front to back) and if I somehow get a 24" width tank that has overflow at the bottom, I can drill hole on the countertop.....
Anyway, decision will be based on if I can fix the tank, and or can sell the puffers ($100 and $40), and or find a replacement tank,

I've got a 55 gal marine truvu - not bad but a total scratch magnet, and the rounded corners are super hard to clean. Might be able to find a used one?

Now looking for a 36" L by 24" W (front to back) by 24" to 32" H.
3-hole overflow at back right corner.
Euro-braced would be ideal.
Let me know if u have one available.

(I figured I can drill more holes on the countertop to make plumbing possible.)

Back