Our mission

Arin's Reefer-S 850 Build

Here’s the dolly with my 150 on it. Did you get the 71” or 82” tank? If you’re not comfortable with the tank hanging over the edge you can swap out the 48” 2x6 with longer ones. Any idea on the weight of the tank? I just checked the load on the 5” swivel casters…it’s 350lbs each.

Attachments

• 9958B22B-3551-4ADB-AA78-642A9A674BA6.jpeg
    9958B22B-3551-4ADB-AA78-642A9A674BA6.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 152
Here’s the dolly with my 150 on it. Did you get the 71” or 82” tank? If you’re not comfortable with the tank hanging over the edge you can swap out the 48” 2x6 with longer ones. Any idea on the weight of the tank? I just checked the load on the 5” swivel casters…it’s 350lbs each.
I got the 71” one. The documentation says the glass is 500lbs

Another minor update: finally got a hold of someone at royal exclusiv (contact info was on fb so not hard to find… I just hate fb).

The recommendation I got for the tank was to get the Double Cone 180 or the Supermarin 160. The rep considered a guessed fish population of 6 tangs & 12-20 smaller fish a light load. Coupled with the fact that I plan to install a roller mat he said those would work well for my light bio load.

Im going to lookup some videos of the supermarin and pick one of those options.

Part of me is tempted to just use my RSK 300 and upgrade the skimmer down the line but that sounds less fun.

I got the 71” one. The documentation says the glass is 500lbs
The casters should handle that weight. Let me know if you would like to use what I have or source something else. If you’re not comfortable with the 4ft length, I can run down the street to Lowe’s and swap out the 4 footers with the appropriate length.

The casters should handle that weight. Let me know if you would like to use what I have or source something else. If you’re not comfortable with the 4ft length, I can run down the street to Lowe’s and swap out the 4 footers with the appropriate length.
you're too generous! I'll let you know. Thanks buddy!!!

Congrats on the new tank! The Reefer-S 850 is a solid choice - it's the same tank I've been eyeballing for my next upgrade. I love that they moved to aluminum stands for the "S" series as the standard marine plywood Reefer stands are heavy & clunky.
The extension sump is a big selling point. Seems like a convenient place for an ATS, probes, reactors etc. After feeling cramped in my 350's sump this will be a nicety
The extension sump is so, so cool. I think it would make for a great frag tank since you could run it on a reverse lighting schedule to balance pH during the night but not have to worry about the light spilling into the rest of the sump and growing algae. Could also make for a great chaeto/refugium setup.
The soon-to-come ReefMat. I definitely wanted a roller mat and having one made by the same company that theoretically "drops in" sounds nice
I have a Clarisea that I plumbed into my Reefer 425 XL sump and I love, love, love my Clarisea (helps keep nutrients down, less detritus to siphon, water is incredibly polished), but it was a pain to plumb. The adapter that comes with the ReefMat looks like a lifesaver. The Clarisea plumbing pieces were not standard so it was difficult to get it hooked up to the Red Sea plumbing + I had to razor out the Reefer sump default filter holders (not sure how the ReefMat will get around that). The ReefMat definitely has more features than the Clarisea and if it's really easy to swap a dirty roll for a clean roll, I'll be looking to make the switch. It's a song and dance to get a new roll on the Clarisea without having to take it out or take it apart.
Still a while away from the tank arriving - so nothing exceptionally new or fun to discuss. But... I would like some feedback/recommendations.
I've really liked the Nyos 160 skimmer I have on my 425 XL. It didn't need to "break in", I never have to play around with the water level, and it pulls a very dark skimmate. Everything comes apart so it's pretty easy to clean. It's a more expensive option but if you're exploring the Royal Exclusive than maybe it's worth taking a look.

Super excited to follow along on this!

Congrats on the new tank! The Reefer-S 850 is a solid choice - it's the same tank I've been eyeballing for my next upgrade. I love that they moved to aluminum stands for the "S" series as the standard marine plywood Reefer stands are heavy & clunky.

The extension sump is so, so cool. I think it would make for a great frag tank since you could run it on a reverse lighting schedule to balance pH during the night but not have to worry about the light spilling into the rest of the sump and growing algae. Could also make for a great chaeto/refugium setup.

I have a Clarisea that I plumbed into my Reefer 425 XL sump and I love, love, love my Clarisea (helps keep nutrients down, less detritus to siphon, water is incredibly polished), but it was a pain to plumb. The adapter that comes with the ReefMat looks like a lifesaver. The Clarisea plumbing pieces were not standard so it was difficult to get it hooked up to the Red Sea plumbing + I had to razor out the Reefer sump default filter holders (not sure how the ReefMat will get around that). The ReefMat definitely has more features than the Clarisea and if it's really easy to swap a dirty roll for a clean roll, I'll be looking to make the switch. It's a song and dance to get a new roll on the Clarisea without having to take it out or take it apart.

I've really liked the Nyos 160 skimmer I have on my 425 XL. It didn't need to "break in", I never have to play around with the water level, and it pulls a very dark skimmate. Everything comes apart so it's pretty easy to clean. It's a more expensive option but if you're exploring the Royal Exclusive than maybe it's worth taking a look.

Super excited to follow along on this!
A frag tank is a possibility... we'll see. I'm very excited about having room though! I felt so cramped in the Reefer 350 cabinet!

As far as the ReefMat goes - I'm curious as well. Their compatibility chart states: "Sump modification recommended: Remove Sock holders". I don't understand how that could mean anything besides - "cut out that section". I guess we'll see.

As far as a skimmer goes - I think I'm just going to use my old one (which is way undersized) and just wait ... I'll move the fish in my other tanks over but they're all tiny & are going to produce negligible bio-load. Once I get a decent number of fish out of QT etc I'll revisit the skimmer decision.

One other thing that’s been on my mind has been whether to completely start over or bring over the rock from my old tank.

All the rock from my previous tank has been sitting in a brute can for about 6 weeks: lid on, some flow (not much) and a heater. I’d ghost feed some tdo maybe once or twice a week if I remembered.

The main concern is that I did have a bunch of vermited snails in the old setup & I really don’t want to bring those along.

I was planning on going over the rock & smashing anything I saw over a few sessions … but the tanks arriving 5 weeks earlier than expected. I can still do that but it’ll definitely have less time than originally planned so stuff can slip by.

Anyone have any clue how long vermitends can last without properly feeding?

If I start fresh I’ll have about 60-70lbs of free rock for anyone that wants it.

They can be hit or miss. I have had luck with controlling my vermetid population (not eradication) with bumblebee snails. Same with peppermint shrimp on aiptasia. Not every shrimp eats aiptasia, but get enough shrimp and they will control the population.

Unless you plan on sticking to a very strict quarantining of every incoming frag and being on top of crushing them as they appear, I feel like vermetids are an inevitable even with dry rock. But that's just me who has always gotten them one way or another.

Since you're starving them, maybe try KZ coral snow and they'll readily take it in? From what i've read, they think it's food and it ends up clogging them up and killing.

Unless you plan on sticking to a very strict quarantining of every incoming frag and being on top of crushing them as they appear, I feel like vermetids are an inevitable even with dry rock. But that's just me who has always gotten them one way or another.

Since you're starving them, maybe try KZ coral snow and they'll readily take it in? From what i've read, they think it's food and it ends up clogging them up and killing.
Ya. Agreed. I feel like they’re inevitable. I’m just trying to make sure I don’t start with a large population.

I’ll eventually get them but with a new tank I’d like a honeymoon phase lol

Lmk when you need some muscles. I drink porters and stouts :)
he he. deal!

one of my hang ups is that I might need 2 sessions. the stand is under the tank - so 1 session to get the stand accessible, then I can build it solo, followed by the actual move in session 2. I doubt people wanna hang around and watch me screw stuff together

Bought a couple pairs of suction cups for the move. I’m on the list to borrow the club ones but figured it wouldnt hurt to have a few just in case

image.jpg

he he. deal!

one of my hang ups is that I might need 2 sessions. the stand is under the tank - so 1 session to get the stand accessible, then I can build it solo, followed by the actual move in session 2. I doubt people wanna hang around and watch me screw stuff together
Sounds like you should invest in one of these.

Back