Cali Kid Corals

Bfirecat's Red Sea 525XL

I’m not sure what gph you’re looking for but luckreef on eBay has a few options, here’s one you can check out but they have many others. I got my tank and frag racks from them and have been happy with the quality. Pretty quick turn around for the in stock items, 2-3 weeks for custom. But they can also tweak in stock items, like I had them make my aio chambers on the short side so I could have a peninsula. Luckreef is the online outlet for Advanced Acrylic

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
After adding fish, I’ve noticed brown snot like stuff growing and I’m pretty sure its dinos.
Going to dose hydrogen peroxide at 1ml/gallon for a couple of weeks and see how that does.

Looks like dinos are taking over the tank.
Nitrates are at 10, Phosphates at .08.
Changed the lights over to blue spectrum only.
Raised heater to 82 degrees.
I stopped carbon dosing, started feeding more heavily, stopped amino acids, and stopped reef roids.
Ordered replacement RO/DI stuff since TDS is at 21 :(
Going to have a UV sterilizer installed.

Also, does anyone have a microscope I could borrow for ID?

Thanks

Can’t help on the microscope, but definitely get the UV running- it’s the one thing that helped eradicate my dinos and osteoporosis problem when my tank was just starting up.

I stopped carbon dosing, started feeding more heavily, stopped amino acids, and stopped reef roids.

Thanks
How do you know ota dino? Your parameters looks ok to me contrary to the conditions that reportedly invites dino..

It's brown and snotty, with air bubbles. Doesn't look like algae to me or cyano.

I could be wrong, but I'm 98% confidant, hence the microscope.

I'm confused as well, the dinos came on when I added the new fish and stopped dosing NeoNitro since the parameters were good.

It's brown and snotty, with air bubbles. Doesn't look like algae to me or cyano.

I could be wrong, but I'm 98% confidant, hence the microscope.

I'm confused as well, the dinos came on when I added the new fish and stopped dosing NeoNitro since the parameters were good.
A microscope examination would be good..
That being said, as long ad you are not doing an invasive dino treatment its ok. Things lile adding a UV will not necessarily mess things up. But if you at any point plan on doing some of the funky dino treatments floating out there, my advice is to confirm first..

Thanks

I've got a scope you can borrow. Alternately, if you want to give me a sand sample, I'm happy to get some pictures for you and help ID what kind of dinos you have.

(Thanks for the ping, @Coral reefer )

Good news, the suspected dinos are gone now. I wasn't able to bring @IOnceWasLegend a sample.
He did help confirm diatoms as well.

Things I did:
H2O2 for a week
Ran only blue spectrum for a week
Raised temp to 82
Replace c02 scrubber media
Replaced RO/DI unit
Stopped water changes
Stopped carbon dosing
Dosed MicroBacter7 daily
Dosed MicroBacter Clean weekly

I'm still fairly confident that it was dinos, not 100% sure though.

On another side, I have to clean my glass daily for the diatoms/algae on glass. Hoping the UV sterilizer is going to help reduce the cleanings.

So after the dinos were done with, I started to carbon dose again with NP Bacto-Balance.
The very next day, I saw more growing back, so I am laying off the carbon dosing until my nutrients are out of whack.

I added a bit of gracilaria into the sump (first time having macro for a long time) and see if that helps.
It's already raised my nightly PH from 8.0 to 8.1. My PH swings are normally 8.0-8.35 daily. Now they are 8.1-8.4.

Now that everything is back in order and I'm not using vibrant, I have to clean the glass every other day.
I added a few blue legged hermits, 2 scarlet hermits, 2 emerald crabs, 5 trochus snails and 5 Nerite snails to help with it.

Looks like everything is doing well and growing. I need to make room soon and can make a lot of frags of orange digi, purple stylo, miami hurricane chalice and purple montipora. (all DBTC).
I've increased my All-For-Reef dosing from 52ml a day to 62ml to keep up with the alk consumption.

Fun times!

Added a 25w UV sterilizer
@Coral reefer helped me plumb in my 14g tank into the sump as a frag tank.
Using an AI Prime to light it.
Still looking for a powerhead for flow.

Parameters:
Alk - 7.8ish - Looks like things are settling in, I have to keep raising the amount of All-For-Reef. Up to 64ml a day now.
Calcium - 480
Magnesium - 1500
Nitrate - 5
Phosphate - .12

Tank seems to be doing well for the most part.

DBTC - Coral Reefer:
Red and blue war coral - doing well and growing - can frag whenever
Jelly bean favia (bleaching happened) - back to full color and growing well now
Cali tort - colored up fully and based out, starting to branch
Red leptoseris - growing slowly - can frag whenever
La lakers monti (bleaching happened) - colored up again and encrusting - can frag whenever
Mystic monti (bleaching happened) - encrusted well now - can frag whenever
Sunset monti (some bleaching happened - still recovering
Purple frogspawn - started splitting
Rainbow monti (bleaching happened) - encrusting and growing quickly - can frag whenever

DBTC - RandyC:
Miami Hurricane chalice - grew a bit - can frag whenever
Orange digitata - slowing growing - can frag whenever
Aussie gold tort - extremely browned out still :(
PC Rainbow acro - colored up well and started branching - can frag whenever

Just another update:
Got some help from @Coral reefer and plumbed in a 14g IM Peninsula as a frag tank.
Added a Nero 3 to the frag tank
Added a AI Prime 16 as the light
Raised dosing from 62ml to 76ml daily

Parameters:
Alk - 8.5- Looks like things are settling in, I have to keep raising the amount of All-For-Reef. Up to 64ml a day now.
Calcium - 480
Magnesium - 1500
Nitrate - 7
Phosphate - .04

DBTC Updates:

DBTC - Coral Reefer:
Red and blue war coral - can frag whenever
Jelly bean favia - can frag whenever
Cali tort - can frag whenever
Red leptoseris - growing slowly - can frag whenever
La lakers monti - can frag whenever
Mystic monti (- can frag whenever
Sunset monti (some bleaching happened) - still recovering
Purple frogspawn - started splitting
Rainbow monti - can frag whenever

DBTC - RandyC:
Miami Hurricane chalice - can frag whenever
PC Rainbow acro - can frag whenever
Aussie gold tort - STN'd, couldn't recover :(
Orange digitata - Going to add to PIF.

how are you liking the Nero 3? I like my 5 and am tempted to add some of the 3s to have more flow sources to prevent one sided flow

I'm going to slowly phase out of the hobby. Its been fun.
Will post things up for sale in the sale forum, and feel free to PM me if something interests you.

Thanks for all the goods times BAR.

:eek: Keep on trucking...we all hit lies and get frustrated or busy. I’ve pushed through a couple times where I wanted out. But then, they pull me back in!

Back