Dosing:
7mil daily AFR

Alk 6.7 - hanna
Alk 7.3 - salifert
Mag 1110 - salifert
Ca 385 - hanna
Ca 380 - salifert
Po4 0.16 - hanna (low range)

The numbers are lower than I expected making me think my weekly water changes do alot to help with stability. .

So I did corrective doses using a dosing calcaulator.

B ionic part l 1 Alk- 15 mil
I dosed 80% of the alk suggested to bringn it up to 8 dkh (using 7 as a safe mid point between the hanna/ salifert results)

B ionic part 2 Cal- 40 mil
I dosed 50%the amount of calc suggested to bring it up to 430

Kent Marine magnesium tech m- 15 mil
I dosed 15mil of Mag- it suggested 359mil or 12 oz to bring it up to 1350
(I don’t have that much mag left in the bottle and it seemed like a extreme amount, so decided to go with just 15mil until I have more data to compare dosing effects)

1.) I plan to test again tomorrow to see if the adjustment doses hit close to the mark. I will add the remaining suggested dose of alk and calc only based on testing results tomorrow.

2.) I under estimated the desired range to ensure a safety barrier. I don't intend this extra dosing to be anything more than a corrective action, as if i see the need i'll prefer to increase the daily amount of AFR.

* very interesting finding is p04 is lower than its ever been. I added a few squirts of reef nutrition phytofeast for the coral while the feeding the fish today to ensure I'm not heading towards bottoming out. I will test this again tomorrow as well.

Last edited:
I think you'd be safe dosing more than 15ml of Kent Tech M magnesium.

Assuming your water volume is 30 gallons, 15ml is only raising your magnesium by 9 ppm. The calculator says to limit the increase the max to 100ppm per day.

Anyone else have experience with how much magnesium you can raise at one time?

1722635664316-png.59169

Attachments

• 1722635664316.png
    1722635664316.png
    77.3 KB · Views: 113
I think you'd be safe dosing more than 15ml of Kent Tech M magnesium.

Assuming your water volume is 30 gallons, 15ml is only raising your magnesium by 9 ppm. The calculator says to limit the increase the max to 100ppm per day.

Anyone else have experience with how much magnesium you can raise at one time?

1722635664316-png.59169

Yea bottle is almost emtpty bigger problem. I probably only have about another 90mil or so left in it. I will test it again tomorrow and go from there. I was more immdxiatley worried about the alk and calc for the sps.

Latest test results.

08/12/2024

Dosing daily 7mil afr

Alk 8.0 - hanna
Calc 397 - hanna
Mag 1125 - salifert
Po4 0.42 - hanna

Following this test, I preformed an additional corrective dose of b ionic 2 part the calc suplement only split between the next 2 days.

The Mag has been lower than I like for the last two tests: I don’t have anything to raise it (and currently lack funds to aquire anything to raise it. So i'm hoping it will be ok until I'm able to afford getting something.)
20240811_211347.jpg
20240815_124802.jpg
20240815_124834.jpg
20240815_124751.jpg

In my opinion things are looking good over all, the higher end sps I have in prime real estate is still coloring and encrusting well. The other sps isn’t doing as well with growth and color mainly do to their subprime placement.

I'm Debating on shifting the euphyllia to the 65 gallon tank until it matures longer (1.5 years or so) before going sps heavy in it. And keeping this tank primarly for the sps until that point due to it's maturity.

Moving the euphyllia and nems to the larger will open more places to safely shift sps frags from racks to main structure giving them better light and flow and prehaps opening the door for a few more peices of sps.

If i can convience myself to do the shift it may also give the euphyllia room to start spreading out more as well.

However I'm still on the fence with this path of thought for now. New 65gallon tank has been sitting and cycling for just about 2.5 months now with lights off.

Last edited:
Dude the corals look great, don't worry about the mag. The tank is small so just do a couple big ass water changes and the mag will be right back where it needs to be (if it's even low...who knows if the test can be trusted).

I know you're way down south but I can give you some salt if you need for WCs. Maybe we can meet up at Kenny's this weekend, just LMK.

You can use Epsom salts as a cheap corrective option. It will slightly elevate your sulfates but shouldn't be a problem since you're regular with your water changes. I've got some extra Magnesium Chloride/sulfate blend if you're in Oakland ever.

Dude the corals look great, don't worry about the mag. The tank is small so just do a couple big ass water changes and the mag will be right back where it needs to be (if it's even low...who knows if the test can be trusted).

I know you're way down south but I can give you some salt if you need for WCs. Maybe we can meet up at Kenny's this weekend, just LMK.

Sorry i didn't mean it to come off as a crazy concern, mag was ok before i left for two weeks, it dropped off while i was gone. I've since done two water changes and still slightly seems to be on downwards trend. I recalling you mentioning a while back that mag shouldn't drop for a while?

I change 5 gallons a week of water, are you suggesting I increase the amount of water I change to get mag back up in the short term?

However I'm making dang sure I don’t run outta AFR for daily dosing what started my recent issues 3 months back.

I still have plenty of the 2 part esv calc and alk left in 750mil bottles. Just nothing specifically to adjust mag apart from what traces are in the AFR.

More or less I meant to imply it's something i'm keeping a close eye on. Keeping with the goal of learning to keep things stable long term.

Greatful for your offer on salt. I currently still have 1/2 of a bucket of reef crystals that should last me a bit longer before it's a concern. If it’s a issue in the future I'll keep your kind offer in mind.

Presently I've been buying 20 gallons of rodi from Neptunes for all the ato containers and mixing salt for my frag tank.

Only For this tank I buy 5 gallons of enhanced natural seawater a week from them. (It has higher alk and other elements than reef crystals)

Working on getting my rodi set up soon, than i should be able to save alot on the on going cost of buying water.

* I have a rodi system just not hooked up yet. Hoping to get it up this week, next week at the latest.

You can use Epsom salts as a cheap corrective option. It will slightly elevate your sulfates but shouldn't be a problem since you're regular with your water changes. I've got some extra Magnesium Chloride/sulfate blend if you're in Oakland ever.

Shoot, seeing you mentioning magnesium sulfate made me remember I completey forgot I was given half a container of that stuff. At the last swap.

But going by the directions it needs to be mixed with mag chloride?

17237563892298000292097374462850.jpg17237564259826463431940137357880.jpgScreenshot_20240815_142317_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Would the one in the Amazon screenshot work together with the stuff i have?

Assuming it's easy as following the directions for mixing a gallon of the stuff, than using their dosing calcaulator to figure out how much of the gallon to use for a corrective adjustmentment dose?

Sorry i didn't mean it to come off as a crazy concern, mag was ok before i left for two weeks, it dropped off while i was gone. I've since done two water changes and still slightly seems to be on downwards trend. I recalling you mentioning a while back that mag shouldn't drop for a while?

I change 5 gallons a week of water, are you suggesting I increase the amount of water I change to get mag back up in the short term?

However I'm making dang sure I don’t run outta AFR for daily dosing what started my recent issues 3 months back.

I still have plenty of the 2 part esv calc and alk left in 750mil bottles. Just nothing specifically to adjust mag apart from what traces are in the AFR.

More or less I meant to imply it's something i'm keeping a close eye on. Keeping with the goal of learning to keep things stable long term.

Greatful for your offer on salt. I currently still have 1/2 of a bucket of reef crystals that should last me a bit longer before it's a concern. If it’s a issue in the future I'll keep your kind offer in mind.

Presently I've been buying 20 gallons of rodi from Neptunes for all the ato containers and mixing salt for my frag tank.

Only For this tank I buy 5 gallons of enhanced natural seawater a week from them. (It has higher alk and other elements than reef crystals)

Working on getting my rodi set up soon, than i should be able to save alot on the on going cost of buying water.

* I have a rodi system just not hooked up yet. Hoping to get it up this week, next week at the latest.

If you're doing 15-20% weekly water changes in a tank that small with mostly smallish corals there is *no way* your mag is low enough to be of any concern. I wouldn't even bother testing it with your current coral load and WC regime.

If you REALLY think it's low, what I'm saying is do a couple 15g water changes back to back and your mg (and pretty much everything else) will return to very close to baseline levels. But I personally wouldn't bother.

I've said this a million times around here, but I haven't added a single drop of Mag to my tank in the 15 months it's been set up. And it is stuffed with growing corals and I do about half the effective water changes that you are doing. Only on my most recent ICP has Mg started to (maybe) drop below 1350ish - so I'm sure I will have to add some eventually. Just offering this for some perspective.

Last edited:
Shoot, seeing you mentioning magnesium sulfate made me remember I completey forgot I was given half a container of that stuff. At the last swap.

But going by the directions it needs to be mixed with mag chloride?

View attachment 59473View attachment 59474View attachment 59475

Would the one in the Amazon screenshot work together with the stuff i have?

Assuming it's easy as following the directions for mixing a gallon of the stuff, than using their dosing calcaulator to figure out how much of the gallon to use for a corrective adjustmentment dose?
Oh yeah I forgot I gave you that. Just use the reef chemistry calculator here for mag sulfate: https://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

Try not to adjust more than 100 ppm per day.

If you're doing 15-20% weekly water changes in a tank that small with mostly smallish corals there is *no way* your mag is low. I wouldn't even bother testing it with your current coral load and WC regime.

If you REALLY think it's low, what I'm saying is do a couple 15g water changes back to back and your mg (and pretty much everything else) will return to very close to baseline levels. But I personally wouldn't bother.
Yes only going off the salifert test. I don't have another test to double check or verifiy those results.

Understood.
Nothing in the tank in terms of corals look odd or outta of wack from my observations. The results from the test are the only thing made me mention it, cause the last several test I did before I left was:

5/27 mag 1125 salifert
6/7 mag 1451 Neptunes spin test
6/ 16 mag 1260 salifert
6/26 mag 1215 salifert
7/4 mag1240 salifert
After I returned
8/1 mag 1110 salifert, added last if kent marine tech m I had.

8/3 mag 1140 salifert
8/12 mag 1125 salifert.

What caught my eye is the noticable drop from when i left and came back. Also the apperance of a possible on going lowering trend.

Yet it seems a lot to assume based on one specific test kit. Especially after your description of how mag is in your massive tank.

Last edited:

I forgot we were chatting about this. Do you have everything you need now to get it up and running? We had talked about some various fittings and I think a barrel for storage.

Also, I have some Mag supplement I can share. My problem is that I'm on-call this week and won't be able to come up that way until next weekend at the soonest. If anyone else happens to be coming through Salinas/Monterey and wants to be a courier of stuff for Michael, let me know.

I’m in the same boat getting an RODI system set up. Upgrading from an RO buddie - it did its job but not well lol

I have an un-setup system with 3 (yes 3) membranes and 3 clear cups, trying to decide if i should get the expansion 2 more DI canister cups for $30

All sitting on a table waiting to be set up :)

I forgot we were chatting about this. Do you have everything you need now to get it up and running? We had talked about some various fittings and I think a barrel for storage.

Also, I have some Mag supplement I can share. My problem is that I'm on-call this week and won't be able to come up that way until next weekend at the soonest. If anyone else happens to be coming through Salinas/Monterey and wants to be a courier of stuff for Michael, let me know.

1.) I have the unit, including the filters that were already in it,

2.) extra unopened bags of di resign.

3.) I have the spliter kit that connects from washing machine hose to the unit.

4.) Red hose, blue hose, and white hose that came with washing machine kit.
20240815_164941.jpg

5.) I have a 10 gallon brute trash can (ok to get started though wouldl like something a bit larger.)

6.) 5 gallon buckets/Spare heaters/ cheap wavemakers to mix saltwater in.

I assume i definitely need:

A float valve. Not to risk flooding the apartment.

I would really like to have:

1.) A inline tdo meter. To know whats going to compare to whats going out.

I currently have a cheap $5 Amazon digital probe type one i could use. My only Issue is I'm not sure how much I should trust the quality and accuracy of it. Based on the understanding that it was the cheapest on their site when I got it and you typically get what you pay for.

2.) A in line water pressure gauge. Because I was recommend to get one by someone.
Screenshot_20240815_164751_Amazon Shopping.jpg

As far as the stuff for the magnesium, I will heed derek_SR's advice and delay any major action quickly without at least verifing my test results first by other means.

If you happen to be coming this way for something else. I would be open to the barrel you mentioned and mag supplement.
I Definitely wouldn't want you or anyone else make a trip on my account. As nothing is dying or looking bad.

As my concern is small- probably only the overly parnoid noob variety of concern.

In theory, I should be able to hook it up with what I have now, and sit and watch it fill up not to flood the house.

The things I would like to have can always be added later. The only practial common sense important need is the float valve.

Also @Srt4eric said he will help me out with it the other night. And he let me look at his set up. It Doesn't seem to complicated. I just don't wanna flood the apartment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240815_164813_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240815_164813_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I’m in the same boat getting an RODI system set up. Upgrading from an RO buddie - it did its job but not well lol

I have an un-setup system with 3 (yes 3) membranes and 3 clear cups, trying to decide if i should get the expansion 2 more DI canister cups for $30

All sitting on a table waiting to be set up :)
I looked hard at the ro buddy but got the feeling I would want another one even after I got it, so never pulled the trigger.

I needed to get going and I don’t have a car to haul around water, so it was the only choice.

Still need a couple membranes, tubing, and DI for the new system before i can actually use it though.

How do you install a float switch? Ive forgotten to turn off the unit before.

I needed to get going and I don’t have a car to haul around water, so it was the only choice.

Still need a couple membranes, tubing, and DI for the new system before i can actually use it though.

How do you install a float switch? Ive forgotten to turn off the unit before.
I imagine it's same function as old float balls in toliet. Water rises makes it float up stopping water from flowing into reservoir from filter. I think you drill hole near the top of water reservoir your using where you want water to stop and screw it in place with gaskets etc. Never done it but i imagine that's the most straight foward part of the whole thing. I'm no expert lmao so don't take my word alone on this. Only my best guess here as to how it's done.

Back