Reef nutrition

Bobs 180 Reborn

017E3CA0-0EA7-43D6-A012-CC61348D8675.jpeg
Red Planet from Omar

An update after a blistering heat wave - my tank has always been in the garage since we moved to Hayward 3 years ago. I had always made it threw the short heat waves we had but this one took its toll and also with a 12-14 hour work day M-Th left me little awake time to do much about it. Most sps took a beating. A few completely lost ( Omar's Red Planet , BC Rainbow Loom and his Freebie Tort ) Most others are holding but the 88-90 degree solid tank heat was not kind. All my LPS was much more forgiving , zero losses. They werent happy but still alive and still lots of color. Thanks to Will I now have a chiller although its not hooked up yet I think Ive made it threw the worst. Indian summer is still coming but by then Im sure we'll be hooked up. I really have no plans to replace whats been lost. I like the LPS I have and my work hours will not be getting any better which leads me to want to go in the LPS direction. Its a tank I want to enjoy as much as possible with the time I have. Some more pics coming soon

An update after a blistering heat wave - my tank has always been in the garage since we moved to Hayward 3 years ago. I had always made it threw the short heat waves we had but this one took its toll and also with a 12-14 hour work day M-Th left me little awake time to do much about it. Most sps took a beating. A few completely lost ( Omar's Red Planet , BC Rainbow Loom and his Freebie Tort ) Most others are holding but the 88-90 degree solid tank heat was not kind. All my LPS was much more forgiving , zero losses. They werent happy but still alive and still lots of color. Thanks to Will I now have a chiller although its not hooked up yet I think Ive made it threw the worst. Indian summer is still coming but by then Im sure we'll be hooked up. I really have no plans to replace whats been lost. I like the LPS I have and my work hours will not be getting any better which leads me to want to go in the LPS direction. Its a tank I want to enjoy as much as possible with the time I have. Some more pics coming soon
Its ok man. Keep your chin up. Once heat pass, and your system stabilize we will restock you. Keep your chin up!

I still have th e blue hornets for you... was about to ping you to see if you wanna pick up or have them dropped off. But just lemme know when you're ready.

Can also give you some pavona and rainbow pocillopora. Fairly hardy and heat tolerant

Did you put a fan to blow over the water yet?

I know that trick and thought I still had the fans but I don’t have them. With how hot the garage got this time around I doubt very much it would have help. Now temps are very acceptable

I know that trick and thought I still had the fans but I don’t have them. With how hot the garage got this time around I doubt very much it would have help. Now temps are very acceptable

Fans will still help. I don't have any chillers on my garage tank. See this post from the other day about my tank temps.

Fans will still help. I don't have any chillers on my garage tank. See this post from the other day about my tank temps.

They absolutely do work. With the setup I got from randy, i can keep temp below 80 without chiller. With chiller I am keeping my temp below 77...
My garage ambient easily hit 95 degree.
I think the trick is to choose high RPM fan, position it for max air flow and have more than one.

I'll try the fan route again. I used them before here and in LV ( LV tanks were never in the garage ). I honestly did not think they'd work at 100 degrees. I think thats the first time since we've been here that its been that hot in there. Always grateful for a steer in the right direction. I probably should have posted instead of thinking I was right.

Hmm... I was going to fix my broken chiller... but maybe instead, I should just through some fans on top and call it a day on my now garage IM20. and maybe even my other nanos in the office.

How loud do those fans get?

Hmm... I was going to fix my broken chiller... but maybe instead, I should just through some fans on top and call it a day on my now garage IM20. and maybe even my other nanos in the office.

How loud do those fans get?
Get some of the beautiful brown noctua desktop PC fans and they’ll be silent but still push a lot of CFM. Or a larger fan which could run at a lower rpm and not make too much noise.

Been a few months since I’ve updated. I’ve changed the tank up a bit. No new equipment but lots a new corals ( mostly lps ). I enjoying my tank more as of late which is one reason I got into this hobby. Pics to come

Back