High Tide Aquatics

bondolo's defunct tanks

I decided that I absolutely had to get rid of the red/purple and blue clavularia before distributing my corals so I removed all the softies, In an abundance of caution I also removed most of the snails and urchin. I then dosed the tank with Fenbendazole aka Panacur, a canine dewormer which has had good results for many people. On Tuesday I will restart the skimmer, on Wednesday I will do a big water change and add carbon to begin removing the Fenbendazole. Everything should be back to normal by next weekend.

I will report back how it goes. I am using this method: https://maxdraco.wordpress.com/2013...ue-cloves-polyps-xenia-aiptasia-hydriods-etc/ based on this report thread from reef2reef https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/eliminating-blue-clove-polyps-with-fenbendazole.308994/

Some sad news, the couple of snails and urchin I took out of the tank to kepe them "safe" were cooked by a faulty Eheim Jaeger heater. I had checked if after half an hour and it seemed fine but 8 hours later it was hotter than dish washing water. Grrrr! I swear it worked properly last time I used it. I wish that thermometers in heaters weren't so damn shitty. I use only a controller or ETC with a plain titanium heating stick on my tanks.

Last edited:
That’s two back to back heater failures in the club. I’d actually never known anyone to experience the failure in the on position.

It has now been 48 hours since I dosed the tank. I will be turning the skimmer back on tomorrow. I will put carbon on tomorrow night after the skimmer has been running for a couple hours and then do large water changes on Wednesday and Friday. Everything, other than the bucket heater failure, is going to plan.

Dosing the tank with Fenbendazole to eliminate the blue clove polyps worked really well. No sign of return after 2 months. It did kill all of the other softies in the tank except the mushrooms. It also killed some, but not all, of the snails. The nassarius snails survived unscathed. Mini-maxi stars, hermit crabs, copepods and amphipods were unaffected. The fish have never been healthier.

I am looking at winding the tanks down over the next couple of months planning to take it down completely over memorial day weekend. So for the moment I am just enjoying them. I do plan to have a "band-saw party" in early May to frag up some of the large encrusting colonies.

My one tank goal that I never realized was to have a giant clam of some type. It is too late for me to consider buying a clam with only 2-3 months left of tank ownership. Until I had the calc reactor I would not have contemplated it as my water conditions were too variable. If somebody has a clam that needs a "foster home" for a couple months, I'd be, of course, happy to oblige.

Dosing the tank with Fenbendazole to eliminate the blue clove polyps worked really well. No sign of return after 2 months. It did kill all of the other softies in the tank except the mushrooms. It also killed some, but not all, of the snails. The nassarius snails survived unscathed. Mini-maxi stars, hermit crabs, copepods and amphipods were unaffected. The fish have never been healthier.

I am looking at winding the tanks down over the next couple of months planning to take it down completely over memorial day weekend. So for the moment I am just enjoying them. I do plan to have a "band-saw party" in early May to frag up some of the large encrusting colonies.

My one tank goal that I never realized was to have a giant clam of some type. It is too late for me to consider buying a clam with only 2-3 months left of tank ownership. Until I had the calc reactor I would not have contemplated it as my water conditions were too variable. If somebody has a clam that needs a "foster home" for a couple months, I'd be, of course, happy to oblige.
@ofzakaria has a big clam but I doubt he’d be lending it out again so soon. :)

Last edited:
If you haven't already found a clam you'd like to foster, I think I can help you out. I've got a deresa that I've grown to 6-7" across, and it needs a larger tank soon. It's in a difficult place for me to get decent a pic, but you're welcome to keep it while you have your tank, if you're willing to help find it a home when you take down your system.

I have been hosting @NelsonCh 's clam for a couple weeks now. These are really cool critters and I wish I had had one longer.

I am still planning on starting teardown of my tanks in the next couple of weeks though I am already falling behind in prep tasks. I have made my first "for sale" post of excess equipment, there will be more.

Back