Our mission

CaptainB's 110g (Marcus)

It's having 2 tanks plumbed into 1 sump that makes it a headache. I do think in future builds I'll just go with the 2 drain Herbie style. 3 seems overkill.

Done. No leaks. Miscalculated how much pipe I needed so the 3rd e-drain is capped for now. Capped a spot to add a return manifold also in case I need one in the future.

Next up is to start moving corals over and set up a small mixing station in the remaining space.

Attachments

• PXL_20221127_033801796.jpg
    PXL_20221127_033801796.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 98
I like your stand. Is it just a cabinet not made for a fishtank?
Did you place anything under the tank, like a pad or something?
A local carpenter built the stand for me. It's made heavy duty to hold the tank.

I put 1/4" black yoga mat between the tank and stand. I just bought on Amazon and cut to size.

Got most of the fish stocking done and wondering what I can hold.

Currently have:

Clown pair
Tomini tang
Flame hawk
Pink streak wrasse
Blue assessor
Tailspot blenny
Randall's goby
Single chromis

Want to add:
Purple or yellow tang
Melanurus wrasse
Blue throat/redtail trigger
Borbonius or dispar anthias.

Do you think I can hold more in a 110? Like a convict tang also or both dispar and the borb anthias?

I'd do a more wait and see approach but I want the purple tang and trigger to go in last.

Oh my!!
You sure did!
Hide that receipt or hope you paid cash
And the most unfortunate aspect...not fraggible
But it is beautiful
And good for the economy
I’m with ya, I understand...
I hope you don’t have to sleep with it now
My accountant (aka wife) approved the purchase. So I won't be sharing bed with coral.

Not fraggable is the worst part I agree, but that means there's no way to get one but bite the bullet and buy one. The is no DBTC for acanthos.

My accountant (aka wife) approved the purchase. So I won't be sharing bed with coral.

Not fraggable is the worst part I agree, but that means there's no way to get one but bite the bullet and buy one. The is no DBTC for acanthos.
Just keep it alive and maybe once Jamie Craggs figures it out the easiest protocol, we can spawn them at home!

I could be way off but I think chummingham reef was fragging them a couple years back. I have not kept up on how it went or is going though.

edit add: But I would be too scared to try myself.

I think some people have success fragging scolys by cutting off the bottom. May work for acantho too. @under_water_ninja told me about this, I hadn't heard of it.

Then a new full round polyp forms on the bottom. Like an ice cream sandwich where the polyp is the cookie and skeleton is the ice cream. I assume you'd need to cut through the skeleton crossways at some point to separate the two.

Looking at chummingham he chops it in half. Works (at least sometimes) but looks like you hacked it up and takes forever to heal.

I probably wouldn't try either method. I may get a scoly at some point but for display not testing. Also wouldn't get a scoly but a homophyllia, I was confused for a while by what we call them. Who's in the Caribbean finding all these crazy scolys? Nobody, we just call Aussie homophyllia scolys.

I think some people have success fragging scolys by cutting off the bottom. May work for acantho too. @under_water_ninja told me about this, I hadn't heard of it.

Then a new full round polyp forms on the bottom. Like an ice cream sandwich where the polyp is the cookie and skeleton is the ice cream. I assume you'd need to cut through the skeleton crossways at some point to separate the two.

Looking at chummingham he chops it in half. Works (at least sometimes) but looks like you hacked it up and takes forever to heal.

I probably wouldn't try either method. I may get a scoly at some point but for display not testing. Also wouldn't get a scoly but a homophyllia, I was confused for a while by what we call them. Who's in the Caribbean finding all these crazy scolys? Nobody, we just call Aussie homophyllia scolys.
Glad you looked at his page, let’s see that acantho!

Ultra Coral...

Back