Our mission

CFM Volunteers Needed (9/14)

I really like the idea of swapping some DBTC - it can be current members only, enabling the system we have (that I like a lot - but needs some enablement), while also showcasing one of the most appealing aspects of the club.

I don't really understand the purpose of the PAR meter demo idea. We aren't selling PAR meters or lights. Are we just give people something to play with while they stand at our table? I don't get it - what is the intent?

As a draw, a way to draw/lure people into conversations while we explain about bar and par meters.

I can't say if or how effective it will be over all. I just figure it would help as a potential conversation maker. Which may help get us talking to more people while we aim to get new supporting members.

***My current supporting membership status expired this morning. I will take care of it in the next week or two. A little tight on funds currently so waiting on pay day.

Last edited:
I’m good with it as long as Michael wants to champion it, and it sounds like Eric has a light we can use. I understand the intent of it being an extra draw to our table and support the initiative. My main concern is that we might be asking volunteers to demonstrate something that they may not be super familiar with. But I think it’s worth giving it a go. I also do not think substrate is necessary.

I’m curious for the people that volunteered last time- Around how many people come up to the table that weren’t in the club or didn’t know about the club? When people do come up, what’s the general conversation?

So if I wanted to bring corals to dbtc or pif, that’s not happening anymore?
You could definitely still do your own thing and arrange people to pickup corals from you. Last CFM the guy at the door didn’t have a problem with people bringing corals in. A lot of people use CFM as a meetup point and they’re aware of it. But I think that would have to be done on your “own time” and not as part of the club unless they give you the green light first.

So if I wanted to bring corals to dbtc or pif, that’s not happening anymore?
You can, however, let’s refrain from putting them into the PAR display tank. Having them in cups on the table will be fine. If they are dbtc please also bring a piece of paper and pen for people to write their information on so you can allocate the frags in Barcode afterwards.

I really like the idea of swapping some DBTC - it can be current members only, enabling the system we have (that I like a lot - but needs some enablement), while also showcasing one of the most appealing aspects of the club.

I don't really understand the purpose of the PAR meter demo idea. We aren't selling PAR meters or lights. Are we just give people something to play with while they stand at our table? I don't get it - what is the intent?
I can't attend, but I'm of the same type of opinion as this one. I'm wondering what the interaction would be with a PAR meter. If it's sitting there and there's an empty tank with water in it, I would think it wouldn't draw that much attention and might be awkward.

A bunch of people sitting around an empty tank with a par meter next to it, turned off, waiting for someone to come up. If you test it, they tell you no, you can't use it, you need to pay money to join the club and then wait until you've been around long enough.

Maybe there's a way to make it a game or more engaging. If it had two lights, put a divider in the middle, show two different light intensities, white vs actinic, let people guess the par number and then double check it. If your guess was close you get <X>.

Alternatively get some PAR readings from the vendor tanks there would be interesting. Have a mini map of PARs from vendors. Would require dipping the meter in multiple tanks though, which vendors probably won't love the idea of.

I can't attend, but I'm of the same type of opinion as this one. I'm wondering what the interaction would be with a PAR meter. If it's sitting there and there's an empty tank with water in it, I would think it wouldn't draw that much attention and might be awkward.

A bunch of people sitting around an empty tank with a par meter next to it, turned off, waiting for someone to come up. If you test it, they tell you no, you can't use it, you need to pay money to join the club and then wait until you've been around long enough.

Maybe there's a way to make it a game or more engaging. If it had two lights, put a divider in the middle, show two different light intensities, white vs actinic, let people guess the par number and then double check it. If your guess was close you get <X>.

Alternatively get some PAR readings from the vendor tanks there would be interesting. Have a mini map of PARs from vendors. Would require dipping the meter in multiple tanks though, which vendors probably won't love the idea of.
Yeah from time to time I’ll see someone post in one of the Facebook groups looking to borrow/rent a PAR meter and someone will mention in the comments BAR has some to borrow but a lot of the time they fail to mention that there’s a wait period before they can borrow it. Usually people are looking to borrow it ASAP to test their lights, not wait 2+ months before they can even be eligible to borrow it. I do think it’s a good idea to do something that catches people’s attention and is engaging but I have no idea what that’d be

Maybe a related option that might be additionally holistic would be a tank or table with a bunch of the loaner things there. PAR meter, fish trap, suction cups, the saw, and put some DBTC corals in the tank. Having a couple things people can play with to keep the table busy (not the saw obviously, unless insurance would allow a frag demo), and they can try multiple to allow for more opportunity to find something interesting to talk about.

If possible I'd bring at least a rimless if going with a basic 10 gallon.

I can print a bunch of mushroom cages or mp10 anemone guards if helpful, but I unfortunately will be out of town again and someone would need to coordinate a pickup near Redwood City.

I really like your thoughts on a comparsion of sorts, I will give it some thought. I definitely don't have a dedicated reefing type light. I do have the crappy light that comes with freshwater tank on the lid and I have a few actinic reef bars that are also on that lid (only sufficent for softies) between that and Erics light, maybe we can show different levels of par compared to what our eyes pick up etc.

I do doubt vendors would like being interrupted in the middle of the show with par readings. If the demonstration proves worth the effort, it would give me a "future idea of possibly getting par readings from venders before the show starts. And having a card or sheet with a bar logo they can fill out par for various areas in their selling tanks." I've personally asked venders what type of par are they keeping a coral in that has caught my eye.

If the idea proves to be a flop or ackward, we can always scrap it and go back to the idea board, to come up with more ways to increase Engagement. As I have no idea if it will be useful to draw more people over or a waste of time. The only way to know is to try it and observe the results.

*I don't have a rimless currently. If doing the demonstration shows promising results, I can keep my eyes open for one in the future.

** I was able to finally pick up a few chef gigs this week and i have meetings on a few days. So my schedule is tight this week. I could try to see if I could get to RWC after work on Friday or possibly eariler Saturday morning if you wanted to do 3d prints. Reach out on pm and we can see if our schedules could line up.

Last edited:
Hey Volunteers! This one is for you!

@Invictus @MichaelB @tribbitt @derek_SR @Matthew Meyer @jkamboy96 @Klems @Raj Gill @Lullaby @t0mmy108

I had a chance to go to Reefapalooza last weekend. I caught up with
@wishtoboutside (Richard), from CoralVue, one of our sponsors!

He was kind enough to donate some ICP Tests for the club! So I couldn't think of a better way to honor the folks that stepped up to volunteer this weekend and represent the club!

So here's your chance to win a free Fauna Marin ICP test!

Rules are simple... kind of...

3 pictures and you get 1 guess for each genus and the "correct" common name.

DM me your guess and whoever gets it, wins the ICP Test. If multiple entries are correct, then I will create a random spin wheel at the CFM with your names and that will determine the winner. If you end up having to leave early and you win, I will get it to you somehow. IF nobody wins, then I will give you all a second chance to give another guess.

Got it?! Easy enough?
PLEASE tell me that is easy enough! Thanks again for volunteering for these events!

20240910_220249.jpg
20240907_111600.jpg
1000012904.jpg

@Invictus @MichaelB @tribbitt @derek_SR @Matthew Meyer @jkamboy96 @Klems @Raj Gill @Lullaby @t0mmy108

He was kind enough to donate some ICP Tests for the club! So I couldn't think of a better way to honor the folks that stepped up to volunteer this weekend and represent the club!

DM me your guess and whoever gets it, wins the ICP Test. If multiple entries are correct, then I will create a random spin wheel at the CFM with your names and that will determine the winner. If you end up having to leave early and you win, I will get it to you somehow. IF nobody wins, then I will give you all a second chance to give another guess.

Got it?! Easy enough?
PLEASE tell me that is easy enough! Thanks again for volunteering for these events!

View attachment 60242View attachment 60243View attachment 60244
Too easy...

Got it?! Easy enough?

View attachment 60242View attachment 60243View attachment 60244
So, both the genus (ex.: Acropora) and common name (ex.: Green slimer)?

Back