Reef nutrition

CFM Volunteers Needed (9/14)

If i wanted to sell some of the corals in my tank, how would I do it? Really tiny small scale, like a few zoa frags and some whatever little pieces of things, like a small yard sale. My tank is only 20 gallons so it’s not gonna be much no matter how much i want to sell.

If i wanted to sell some of the corals in my tank, how would I do it? Really tiny small scale, like a few zoa frags and some whatever little pieces of things, like a small yard sale. My tank is only 20 gallons so it’s not gonna be much no matter how much i want to sell.
CFM isn’t really set up for that. We don’t sell coral to the public at our club table per our agreement with the organizers. To get an official booth to sell coral you have to go through the organizers and it isn’t cheap, and often not available.

Some people will arrange buyers for specific items ahead of time for example by posting on BAR, and make the hand off at the CFM. But that is completely on you, not a club thing. You can’t ask the people at our desk to keep an eye on your stuff or do the sale or whatever.

@tribbitt we can talk about the tank and what to do with it at cfm over here. @Invictus is running that show. What do you think Austin?
I could bring crushed coral for substrate, water too depending on the size of the tank.

Would the plan be to get this going Saturday before the show or the day before?

(I assume the more simple we keep it for demonstration purposes the easier setup/ tear down will be.)

@tribbitt mentioned adding corals etc in the tank. I was originally just thinking empty tank with rocks/substrate just so people can see the idea and use of a par meter.

My cautious side would suggestion to keep things very simple as a initial trial run of sorts. Which will allow us to learn first hand what’s involved with transporting and setting up a tank demonstration.

If it's successful at drawing people over and encouraging discussion. Maybe at tbe next cfm we plan to bring corals for the tank etc.

Just my thoughts. If we are determine to have corals they would need to be acans, favia, montis, chalices or types that won't need time to acclimate and open up.

Why not just a standard 10 gallon tank (nothing fancy), filled with water and a power head. Could have a couple different light fixtures, eg a prime and a Kessil. Ppl stop by turn off the power head, they can fiddle with the par meter at various depths. Try with both light fixtures possibly.

I don’t think there’s really a need for substrate, rock, corals, etc. that seems like more of a hassle than anything.

Why not just a standard 10 gallon tank (nothing fancy), filled with water and a power head. Could have a couple different light fixtures, eg a prime and a Kessil. Ppl stop by turn off the power head, they can fiddle with the par meter at various depths. Try with both light fixtures possibly.

I don’t think there’s really a need for substrate, rock, corals, etc. that seems like more of a hassle than anything.

I have a standard 10 gallon tank basic petco style, I have a cheap powerhead laying around,

I have the substrate already and few rocks light enough to have already in the tank. So only real effort is pouring in water, and draining it at the end. I could also bring my little water change thing to drain it.

Eric mentioned on eariler posts he had a tank he could bring. If that's to much trouble I could easily bring the one I have, it’s already empty clean etc. 2-5 gallon jugs of water, and I have a flatbed cart in my car already meaning only 1 trip from/to the car.

What I don't have to make it happen is a light.

Last edited:
I originally thought that it would be a DBTC tank. My fault, didn’t see the part where it was meant to be a PAR meter demo.
I really like the idea of swapping some DBTC - it can be current members only, enabling the system we have (that I like a lot - but needs some enablement), while also showcasing one of the most appealing aspects of the club.

I don't really understand the purpose of the PAR meter demo idea. We aren't selling PAR meters or lights. Are we just give people something to play with while they stand at our table? I don't get it - what is the intent?

Back