Jestersix

Cipro

lost a couple of torches to BJD. Tried iodine/reef primer and the torches seems to be ok. Plan is to have cioro readily available just in case another torch gets BJD, then I would probably treat the tank. :-(

Oddly enough this link seems to be broken on my mobile device but not on my pc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxolinic_acid

Would be nice if there was a place locally to pick it up. I wonder why LFS don't carry them.
@robert4025 any chance you'd be able to stock this? Given your expansion into freshwater, it should be right up your alley! Plus it would be good to steer folks away from antibiotics used for humans still.

These things are hard to get if you don't know where to look.
  • Called a few vets locally for a prescription (Cipro) - no success
  • Called a couple of Koi Shops (Oxolinic Acid) - no success, they also have never heard of it but did offer other medications they used on their kois.

These things are hard to get if you don't know where to look.
  • Called a few vets locally for a prescription (Cipro) - no success
  • Called a couple of Koi Shops (Oxolinic Acid) - no success, they also have never heard of it but did offer other medications they used on their kois.
Try chemiclean in the meantime, then do the 3 day delivery from the link I posted.

A torch that I received a couple of weeks ago died in 24-48 hours when I first noticed tissue recession. I didn't know what BJD was at the time, but the reference to "smell" gave it away.
A second torch got BJD and I used Iodine, but it wasn't helpful. I was able to cut off the infected head and dip the remaining head in Iodine and Reef Primer. So far it is doing well.
A third torch has symptoms, but no visible BJD yet. I have dipped it in iodine/Reef Primer.

/crossing fingers

I did the math for the Cipro treatment and it looks like I need just 1 tablet. If I can find one in the meantime while ordering the Oxolinic Acid that would be ideal. Never had BJD before, it seems to act very fast.

500mg dissolved in 50ML of RODI water
50g tank converts to 190 liters

Formula
190 X .125 = 24
Divide by 10 = 2.4 ML/night
6 nights X 2.4ML = 14.4 ML/over 6 days

Back