got ethical husbandry?

Complete Bonus/Ultra Coral List - 2024 (REVISED AS OF 10/13/24)

I can contribute a few frags, I can’t hold frags though

No payment necessary
Thanks! Appreciate it.
Pick zoas/mushrooms/leathers and they should be fine in a new tank as long as you can keep salinity stable (easy if you have a good ATO).
These corals will definitely work for where I’m at, my issue is that my plan was to take my start as slow as possible in order to mitigate the ugly stage as much as possible. Wanted to give my bacterial population plenty of time to grow, while also adding in pods early and giving them plenty of time to grow as well. With my lights staying off for as long as possible.

The allure of corals and fun of the frag swap is just very tempting lol

Thanks! Appreciate it.

These corals will definitely work for where I’m at, my issue is that my plan was to take my start as slow as possible in order to mitigate the ugly stage as much as possible. Wanted to give my bacterial population plenty of time to grow, while also adding in pods early and giving them plenty of time to grow as well. With my lights staying off for as long as possible.

Almost no chance of someone offering to hold coral you pick out from the swap. It's one thing if you had them already and had a tank emergency or life crissis. But to aquire corals with the intent of not wanting them until a later date in time, to help your tank mature more is meh. I don't honestly seeing anyone agreeing to do that given the above refrenced circumstances.

Nothing intended to be mistaken as a insult just honest truth.

Option get a tote run a heater wave makers and put a light over it until your ready. If you prefer a tank heck you will have much better luck borrowing a temp tank to hold your coral in until main tank is ready. If you need to borrow one lol ask and you will probably get over 10 different offers how generous the club is.

2 other likely options you have.

1. Join us at the swap to say Hello or have fun socializing.

2. Say screw it and put them into your tank anyway and just plow ahead.

Unless you started with tons of actual live rock, your efforts to avoid that stage will likey benfor naught anyway. Have people done it, yes but success with it leans more towards the exception than being the norm by passing that stage.

My vote Say screw it turn your lights on and jump in head first. As chances are same thing will happen regardless of when you turn them on.

Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks! Appreciate it.

I started with live rock, pods, light off for almost two months before I added corals, and still got the ugly phase as soon as I turned on the lights. I’d say just add coral, turn the lights on. I’d say it’s almost inevitable so might as well just get it over with

Almost no chance of someone offering to hold coral you pick out from the swap. It's one thing if you had them already and had a tank emergency or life crissis. But to aquire corals with the intent of not wanting them until a later date in time, to help your tank mature more is meh. I don't honestly seeing anyone agreeing to do that given the above refrenced circumstances.

Option get a tote run a heater wave makers and put a light over it until your ready. If you prefer a tank heck you will have much better luck borrowing a temp tank to hold your coral in until main tank is ready. If you need to borrow one lol ask and you will probably get over 10 different offers how generous the club is.

Unless you started with tons of actual live rock, your efforts to avoid that stage will likey benfor naught anyway. Have people done it, yes but success with it leans more towards the exception that being the norm by passing that stage.

My vote Say screw it turn your lights on and jump in head first. As chances are same thing will happen regardless of when you turn them on.

Good luck
I want to agree with this sentiment. You are unlikely to avoid the ugly stage. When you turn your lights on, if you do not have herbivores, you will get algae.

Nor are pods a miracle cure. Your pod process is unlikely to solve the ugly stage either. Plus, pods will continue to grow in population until you add fish.

If you find someone to hold your frags that’s great, but I personally don’t think that avoiding uglies is a great reason to do so

A month is an ok timeline to start trying easy corals. The swap is in two weeks yet, the tank will keep doing its thing until then

Lmk if you want to participate, I can contribute to your entry frags.

Unless you started with tons of actual live rock, your efforts to avoid that stage will likey benfor naught anyway. Have people done it, yes but success with it leans more towards the exception than being the norm by passing that stage.

Good luck
Appreciate the honesty! I didnt expect anyone to be able to hold coral for me, but just thought it couldnt hurt to ask. I know it is very hard/takes time to completely avoid the ugly stage, I’m more so just trying to set myself to mitigate it somewhat. We’ll see how I feel my tank is coming along in maybe another week or so, I’ll probably just end up going for it and turning on the lights lol

I want to agree with this sentiment. You are unlikely to avoid the ugly stage. When you turn your lights on, if you do not have herbivores, you will get algae.

Nor are pods a miracle cure. Your pod process is unlikely to solve the ugly stage either. Plus, pods will continue to grow in population until you add fish.

If you find someone to hold your frags that’s great, but I personally don’t think that avoiding uglies is a great reason to do so

A month is an ok timeline to start trying easy corals. The swap is in two weeks yet, the tank will keep doing its thing until then

Lmk if you want to participate, I can contribute to your entry frags.
Thanks! I’ll let you know when I make a final decision. Appreciate you offering to share!

Thanks! Appreciate it.

My take along with a few others is to put some easy softy corals as soon as the tank is started. The plugs they come on are more likely to have more micro biome diversity than any product you add to the tank. In this sense the can help in your cause of trying to establish a good bacteria population.

Corals from a frag swap may not be the best way to do this though as majority of them will be mounted on new plugs that haven't been in the tanks that long.

Appreciate the honesty! I didnt expect anyone to be able to hold coral for me, but just thought it couldnt hurt to ask. I know it is very hard/takes time to completely avoid the ugly stage, I’m more so just trying to set myself to mitigate it somewhat. We’ll see how I feel my tank is coming along in maybe another week or so, I’ll probably just end up going for it and turning on the lights lol
Also not to be a harbinger of doom, but getting a bunch of corals from people and sticking them into your new, clean, display might be treacherous. Lots of good people in the club, lots of good and generous corals, but just like any other source, assume it's full of pests and needs dips, scrubs, plugs tossed, and quarantine.

(said as someone whose fought monti eating nudis twice from free frags)

My take along with a few others is to put some easy softy corals as soon as the tank is started. The plugs they come on are more likely to have more micro biome diversity than any product you add to the tank. In this sense the can help in your cause of trying to establish a good bacteria population.

Corals from a frag swap may not be the best way to do this though as majority of them will be mounted on new plugs that haven't been in the tanks that long.
+1. Nothing preventing you from shrooms, GSP, and so on as soon as your baseline, bottled bacteria or rock goes in. Just don't get stuff you'll get overly attached to. What commonly happens is people get one more coral, or one slightly nicer one, and then they start doing silly things at the ugly stage like dumping in chemicals to save the coral they said they wouldn't get attached to.

Also not to be a harbinger of doom, but getting a bunch of corals from people and sticking them into your new, clean, display might be treacherous. Lots of good people in the club, lots of good and generous corals, but just like any other source, assume it's full of pests and needs dips, scrubs, plugs tossed, and quarantine.

(said as someone whose fought monti eating nudis twice from free frags)

+1. Nothing preventing you from shrooms, GSP, and so on as soon as your baseline, bottled bacteria or rock goes in. Just don't get stuff you'll get overly attached to. What commonly happens is people get one more coral, or one slightly nicer one, and then they start doing silly things at the ugly stage like dumping in chemicals to save the coral they said they wouldn't get attached to.
Of course! Luckily, on my first tank, I never got any major pests, and it was small enough that it was easy to monitor. 40 breeder, had a decent outbreak of flatworms, ID’ed them as caution, not for sure a really bad species, got a sapphire damsel that seemed to eat them up, had one aiptasia on a frag, superglued over it and never saw more, got lucky on that. I want to do better this time, and be more rigorous with dipping and quarantining this time around. I LOVE soft corals, might get some gsp and isolate it to a rock, pom pom xenia is my absolute favorite, but think I’m gonna pass because I dont like how pieces can break off and float around to a new spot, love leathers, but not fond of the toxins they release. Think I want to get a japanese toadstool since they are a slow grower. I want to be LPS focused on this tank, I would love to collect every candy cane morph this time around, maybe a couple acans, and torch, hammers, and frogspawns for the rest. I also want to put montis or maybe cyphastrea on my back glass. Taking this tank slow, not going to rush anything or try to “collect em all” like before. Also want 1 RBTA as well.

Also, bottled bac has been in the tank for about 10 days or so, just want to get as strong of a bacterial population as I can. First fish coming very soon, then pods and chaeto!

Of course! Luckily, on my first tank, I never got any major pests, and it was small enough that it was easy to monitor. 40 breeder, had a decent outbreak of flatworms, ID’ed them as caution, not for sure a really bad species, got a sapphire damsel that seemed to eat them up, had one aiptasia on a frag, superglued over it and never saw more, got lucky on that. I want to do better this time, and be more rigorous with dipping and quarantining this time around. I LOVE soft corals, might get some gsp and isolate it to a rock, pom pom xenia is my absolute favorite, but think I’m gonna pass because I dont like how pieces can break off and float around to a new spot, love leathers, but not fond of the toxins they release. Think I want to get a japanese toadstool since they are a slow grower. I want to be LPS focused on this tank, I would live to collect every candy cane morph this time around, maybe a couple acans, and torch, hammers, and frogspawns for the rest. I also want to put montis or maybe cyphastrea on my back glass. Taking this tank slow, not going to rush anything or try to “collect em all” like before. Also want 1 RBTA as well

How long has the tank been up? If it's already been cycling for a few weeks I think you could probably try some candy canes by the time the swap happens. RichieV makes a really good point: don't get attached, and don't start doing too much trying to save them if things do go downhill.

Do make sure do dip thoroughly

How long has the tank been up? If it's already been cycling for a few weeks I think you could probably try some candy canes by the time the swap happens. RichieV makes a really good point: don't get attached, and don't start doing too much trying to save them if things do go downhill.

Do make sure do dip thoroughly
I’m at around 2 weeks since things have been wet, 10-11 days since I added dr tims one and only. Wanted to have my test kit before I added the bottled bac. Had a pretty big bacterial bloom before I added the bottled bac, which was interesting

How abt rainbow goku chalice

Used to be more green but I placed it in a higher light spot which it loved, but turned mostly orange

The yellows and greens are coming back on the edges now that I’ve moved it to the sand bed

IMG_6493.jpeg
IMG_5752.jpeg

The last frag swap, it was officially decided that it would not be enforced:

“I don't think we need that rule, and that it's better to encourage ALL THE NICE coral. ”

I am not sure if that’s a temporary decision, but it sounded pretty final

Up to josh though
Clarifying:

To enter the frag swap, it is three different varieties of coral.

For bonus tickets, there is no limit on varieties/etc. The rationale behind this rule is to try and encourage people to bring as much nicer coral as possible, and we'll be monitoring what we have too much of, not enough of, etc. when making adjustments to the bonus/ultra coral list.

Back