got ethical husbandry?

Complete Bonus/Ultra Coral List - 2024 (REVISED AS OF 10/13/24)

Smart and Final usually has great plastic deli cups (8 oz? if memory serves); that's where I purchase all of mine.
Thanks! I actually just got back from a restaurant supply store nearby and they had clear 16oz size containers. Too hard to tell if the ones on Amazon were truly clear or not.

Look like this?
That's the cheapest one I've seen, and one of the ugliest. Maybe it's the lighting and image but I'm used to seeing much higher quality frags with more vibrance. Like this... you can see the image you posted at the bottom right.
1000013395.jpg

That's the cheapest one I've seen, and one of the ugliest. Maybe it's the lighting and image but I'm used to seeing much higher quality frags with more vibrance. Like this... you can see the image you posted at the bottom right.
View attachment 61170
First two pics look doctored to me. But maybe they’re not. Who knows. I’d think the last 3 pics are probably most accurate, at least relative to the same chalice when I saw it in person. Don’t known if personally I’d call this ultra. Maybe bonus if it actually has the vibrance in the first 2 pics. But calling those shots is above my pay grade. I only commented based on what I’ve seen a couple frags of this look like/go for locally

First two pics look doctored to me. But maybe they’re not. Who knows. I’d think the last 3 pics are probably most accurate, at least relative to the same chalice when I saw it in person. Don’t known if personally I’d call this ultra. Maybe bonus if it actually has the vibrance in the first 2 pics. But calling those shots is above my pay grade. I only commented based on what I’ve seen a couple frags of this look like/go for locally

Idk no attempt to sway any decision either way, but maybe they look better in person, based on pictures alone it's something i would pass on. My jackolantern lyphs looks way more eye catching soley based on visuals so are many monti caps, and favias. I get they totally are totally different coral, but I've seen many nicer other types with similar color profiles.

Biggest question that would make me avɔid it is if it has sweepers or not.

All in all i suspect the desireability of that coral prehaps is heighten by other factors beyond apperance.

I have this chalice in my tank. It’s pretty neat - I don’t know if I’d consider an ultra but probably a bonus, IMO.

Tough to get a good pic with the location but best I can do for now:

RH5A2247.jpeg

Last edited:
Leathers shouldn’t be an ultra, I’d even say not part of the bonus.
My yellow leathers/ yellow Sinularia grow slower than most of my sps. The other leathers I have grow 5 times their speed. So I would defend the yellows.

1.)The last two swaps there were also very limited amounts of leathers in general especially yellows.

2.)yellows have also held steady prices.

3.) I don't recall seeing any yellow leathers at recent cfms. I did see a few weeping willow varriants however.

I would have to make that same argument against half the mushrooms listed that have dbtcs as well.
I would have to make a similar argument against zoas, there were many of the same types from the list.

Main argument in defense of yellow is that they haven't been showing up in overabundance such as other corals on the list have.

To be open and honest, I'm planning to bring a few yellows to the swap. So I won't deny it plays a small part of me defending their current postion on the list. Despite that I do strongly feel every catgeory of coral should be fairly represented on the bonus and ultra list.
Not just sps or fancy torches, or mushrooms.

Last edited:
So these will all look very different based on placement. Do they have hollywood stunner typenof sweepers?
My rainbow goku turned orange and vivid teal under high light. Now it has yellows and greens because I put it on the sand. My mummy eye was green when I got it. It turned green with a yellow frosting, and it grew a yellow eye (all the others are pink). Chalices love changing

Agreen 100% about leathers. Some are not worth being bonus, but there are definitely some that are slow growers and very nice to look at

My yellow leathers/ yellow Sinularia grow slower than most of my sps. The other leathers I have grow 5 times their speed. So I would defend the yellows.

1.)The last two swaps there were also very limited amounts of leathers in general especially yellows.

2.)yellows have also held steady prices.

3.) I don't recall seeing any yellow leathers at recent cfms. I did see a few weeping willow varriants however.

I would have to make that same argument against half the mushrooms listed that have dbtcs as well.
I would have to make a similar argument against zoas, there were many of the same types from the list.

Main argument in defense of yellow is that they haven't been showing up in overabundance such as other corals on the list have.

To be open and honest, I'm planning to bring a few yellows to the swap. So I won't deny it plays a small part of me defending their current postion on the list. Despite that I do strongly feel every catgeory of coral should be fairly represented on the bonus and ultra list.
Not just sps or fancy torches, or mushrooms.
Absolutely agree with you about the mushrooms and zoas!

My rainbow goku turned orange and vivid teal under high light. Now it has yellows and greens because I put it on the sand. My mummy eye was green when I got it. It turned green with a yellow frosting, and it grew a yellow eye (all the others are pink). Chalices love changing

Agreen 100% about leathers. Some are not worth being bonus, but there are definitely some that are slow growers and very nice to look at

I use to have a few different chalices (nothing as cool as eric's picture) but hammers killed and stung them. So far I never got more to replace them.

Cloudberry chalice will be bonus, given how far down in price it's come; @tribbitt Rainbow Goku chalice will be ultra.
How about the yellow leathers someone mentioned? Their rarity has decreased but they are quite unique, grow slow, and I don’t think the club is flooded with them yet. I think they’re quite cool and it would be nice for someone to bring them

Last edited:
How about the yellow leathers someone mentioned? Their rarity has decreased but they are quite unique, grow slow, and I don’t think the club is flooded with them yet. I think they’re quite cool and it would be nice for someone to bring them
Yellow leather is already on the list.

Back