Jestersix

Coral reefer’s 360 gal system. 225 display and frag tanks

So good news bad news yesterday...
I got my hands on an AI sol super blue for the first time...and took one home with the control unit to try out on my tank. I replaced the 2x 150 hqi fixture with an old single, and put the AI up next to it.
The bad news? I drowned my phone yesterday so no pics yet. Coming soon.
I am pretty sure 2 AI fixtures will be enough to light my tank pretty well, we will see! Gotta sell my two halide fixtures and save up a bit more for the second module.

Mike - Are you getting pretty close to the 2x2x2 coverage you're after from the single AI? How high are you off of the water did you have to mount it? I'm wanting to go with LEDs myself but just not sure which way I'm going to go yet.

~Charlie

Leave the phone in regular rice at least a day (not instant rice) remove the battery; rice should absorb the moisture then pray since it was in saltwater (assuming)

GL

Yeah it was saltwater. Was carrying a bucket and it bumped my pocket and the phone jumped right in. iPhone u can't really take out the battery I don't think? Already got another one. Went down from 3GS 16 gb to 8 gb...only $88. Not too bad

Charlie...haven't mounted yet...it's roughly 6" off the water, happy with the coverage. I've got all three led channels dialed down into the 30% ranges and it is hard to tell the difference from my remaining 150 hqi running a ushio 20k+. The coverage may not get all the way out to the side walls, but I'm cool with that. If you wanna come see pm me. Think were both in the city...

713f95fb.jpg
Which side is hqi? Which side is led?

HQI on left, LED on right? Simply a guess since you said you haven't mounted it yet and I see the custom 2x4 legs :) Although it looks like there might be a reflection of an HQI reflector in the glass on the right side there.

I'm out in Oakley so it's a bit of a hike for me. If I do head out your way soon I'll send you a PM and see what you're schedule looks like. I'd really like to see one on a tank in person.

Thanks for all the info. I'd like to hear more on how it's working for you as you get it all dialed in!

~Charlie

hard to tell without knowing what type of optics are on the LED fixture, seems like there's a lot of spillover into your overflow (really bright pipes) to the point of me saying the left is the halide... however I really hope you're not using 2x4s as legs for it to test it out, things are too damn expensive to have another phone like mishap!! :D

Geeze forgot about Bennett, how many are on this hill!

Left was my ushio 20k+, right was AI. Yes it was on 2x4's, I am that stupid. It was very temporary though! The optics are 40 on the middle four pucks and 70 on the outer four. I decided that the footprint was doable and I ponied up and got the second unit.
Shot is under 2 Ai sol super blue...
dd26229f.jpg

So far I'm running them at 28 w, 35 b, and 40 rb. For 4.5 hr with a ramp up and ramp down. Lights on for a total of 10 hrs.
My old coralife halides are for sale!

That looks great Mike. It looks like two are going to cover just fine. Have you noticed any difference in the animals at all?

~Charlie

I concur looks like you won't need anything else.

Now just zip-tie those wires to the supporting frame/conduit to make it look clean and you're good to go!

Still working on the stand a little. Hopefully going to hide wires inside of the conduit eventually. Definitely good enough coverage with the LEDs about 11" off the water surface and turned up to 50% range. It will take me a while to ramp it up to there, but I got nothin but time!
No real changes in corals yet. Only been up for a few days

Mummy eye chalice...couple others. Really hoping to get back on top of my tank these days. Also really feeling the motivation to connect the garage tank to upstairs. Way easier to do water changes without carrying jugs upstairs! No need for duplicate equipment like dosing pumps. Hmmmmm
I'll find a time to bring by the mini nem this week for you

Coral reefer said:
Sweet, a compliment from somebody who likes nice equipment!
:D

Good seeing you today Mike...sorry we didn't get a chance to catch up much. You're always welcome to swing by to checkout the tanks.

Just did some testing on a whim today. I usually try to check ca mg and alk when I refill my gallons for the bubble magus doser.
Alk 9-10 API kit doesn't have much in the way of resolution
Ca 425 salifert
Mg 1380 salifert

Sg 1.025
Don't have any po4 kits that I like so I just change out gfo in my brs reactor more than I really should need to and don't bother testing.

Back