Cali Kid Corals

Custom 180G Cantilevered Reef System

The home stretch! After more than 1.5 years, it’s starting to cycles. Still need to connect a grow-out tank to it and setup a QT tank on the custom shelf which I am waiting on still. But, that is someone who else’s problem…

BAC9ED3A-3176-4608-A82E-B0C318F3A99D.jpeg

Just saying hi! Robert has been fantactic putting this system together for our family. Can’t wait to have the tank fully cycled! Also related to the question of maintaince earlier in the thread my second oldest son (16) and I are planning on learning all the ins and outs. In fact if my son ever gets his drivers license (kids these days!) he wants to work at Neptune on the weekend. I’m fully supportive and not just because of the employee discount ;)

Is that square steel tubing holding everything up and together? How did you attach them to each other? Did you break out the welder inside?
The base is actually bolted together and then bolted to the wall. It’s not going anywhere. The large metal tray the display tank sits on was welded in the house to the giant steel support beams. Robert insisted that the aquarium sit dead level so the structural engineer had to calculate the deflection of the steel beams once the aquarium was fully loaded. The welder thought we were crazy to specify that the tray needed to be installed 3/32” higher and not be dead level. When performing the initial fill it was a bit of a nail biter watching the level sitting on the short side of the tank slowly creep towards being perfectly level as the tank filled. Huge props to the structural engineer, he nailed it. Go math!

The base is actually bolted together and then bolted to the wall. It’s not going anywhere. The large metal tray the display tank sits on was welded in the house to the giant steel support beams. Robert insisted that the aquarium sit dead level so the structural engineer had to calculate the deflection of the steel beams once the aquarium was fully loaded. The welder thought we were crazy to specify that the tray needed to be installed 3/32” higher and not be dead level. When performing the initial fill it was a bit of a nail biter watching the level sitting on the short side of the tank slowly creep towards being perfectly level as the tank filled. Huge props to the structural engineer, he nailed it. Go math!
I never would've considered that. That's awesome!

Just saying hi! Robert has been fantactic putting this system together for our family. Can’t wait to have the tank fully cycled! Also related to the question of maintaince earlier in the thread my second oldest son (16) and I are planning on learning all the ins and outs. In fact if my son ever gets his drivers license (kids these days!) he wants to work at Neptune on the weekend. I’m fully supportive and not just because of the employee discount ;)
Hi Max! Welcome to the club!!! Glad you found my hide out!

The folks in this club are super reefers and super nice and so they have a wealth of knowledge. Wears this hobby on their sleeves for sure. There’s no question they can’t answer! If there’s one club that I highly respect, this is the one. They were also super instrumental to my growth as an LFS owner and as a hobbyist so you’re in good hand. I hope they’ll help teaching you a few things or two like they did me. Whatever you do, don’t invite them to your house. I don’t want them to dissect all my design flaws!

BTW…just finished stubbing out the remaining piping in the water change station room for another future tank! Also, the low pressure ATO reservoir tank is now activated in the system along with a high pressure system.
This system is the first one where I had to employ both a low pressure (gravity fed) and high pressure ATO system. Works awesome though!
6415CDA1-F57E-4CC8-B301-A08A169A05D3.jpeg

That’s awesome

Back