Neptune Aquatics

DBTC: Rainbow Pocillopora (NanoCrazed)

Would like to be in line for a frag of this, thanks!
If you are going to be in SF I can cut a piece. My “frag” (colony) has started to encrust the rock and seems settled.
@NanoCrazed i think it’s around 200-250 par so you think it’ll start showing some other color? I might try some frags in different lighting to see what it does
72422368-07DD-4D9C-BB3C-2044A0477A22.jpeg

If you are going to be in SF I can cut a piece. My “frag” (colony) has started to encrust the rock and seems settled.
@NanoCrazed i think it’s around 200-250 par so you think it’ll start showing some other color? I might try some frags in different lighting to see what it does
View attachment 25067
At higher PAR more of the pinks will come out -- and you'll also get why it earns the name rainbow poci... :). not pot of gold, though.... At lower PAR will be toxic green \ yellow...

If you wanna head towards my end, gimme a ping and will make a piece for ya as well. That's what I like to see -- DBTC that cover both ends of the bay!

Thanks Vince and Max! I’ll ping one of you when I can firm up plans to head up or down, whichever comes first. Cheers!

I had a huge green pocillopora colony before... and I didn’t do dbtc but did PIF where I gave out many frags of it. Eventually got rid of it when I modified my scape, but have always been intrigued by a “rainbow” variety of pocillopora.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Vince and Max! I’ll ping one of you when I can firm up plans to head up or down, whichever comes first. Cheers!

I had a huge green pocillopora colony before... and I didn’t do dbtc but did PIF where I gave out many frags of it. Eventually got rid of it when I modified my scape, but have always been intrigued by a “rainbow” variety of pocillopora.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rainbow is worth it! Enough so that I DBTC it... hah.

But will let some of the other folks on the chain comment on their evaluation...

I have a pink poci here still... been pretty ho hum. but the rainbow despite taking up so much room, I still cling onto and would want it back if I lost it.

Not part of the DBTC, but at a pre-pandemic frag swap I picked up a piece of pocci, it initially had that dark pink/purple with a tiny bit of green and when I say tiny I mean you might as well say it had one color. After a few months though it had a fairly insane color shift to green/yellow, which I've had this variant before way in the past (I want to say back in the metal halide days), so yeah YMMV on what color your pocci ends up as :D

It's a fun coral, and one of the few that can sexually reproduce in a tank. I did see a few comments about some popping up here and there in the tank. Great coral for a "chaotic" reef, where you just want to let things go "naturally"

Those are all my rogue colonies. That's what I'm hoping to contribute to dbtc. I'll try and pop them off with a screw driver. Try to.

You didn't look at both my pics... that's just the rock from my 40 that I transfered to the new tank.
Oh yeah my bad :) Glad that's "normal" behavior.

And since all of those spawns and the huge mother colony (top right) are in a tiny 13.5gal tank, my Alk and Ca consumption are insane!

Back