Cali Kid Corals

DC Pump Issues

Wlachnit

Past President
I have had a few DC pumps that fail. They are either intermittent, or they start for a few seconds, then stall and don'ty come back on.I had this happen to my L1, which Ecotech repaired free of chagre.
I now have a Reef Octopus that has done the same. Does the actual pump housing have smart electronics in it? Or, asked another way, if the pump starts, then stops after a few seconds, is it always the controller? Can I just replace the controller? BTW, the impeller is clean and spins freely.

I have had a few DC pumps that fail. They are either intermittent, or they start for a few seconds, then stall and don'ty come back on.I had this happen to my L1, which Ecotech repaired free of chagre.
I now have a Reef Octopus that has done the same. Does the actual pump housing have smart electronics in it? Or, asked another way, if the pump starts, then stops after a few seconds, is it always the controller? Can I just replace the controller? BTW, the impeller is clean and spins freely.
Might look at power supply first? Could be a controller issue as well. Hard to say.

A big issue with DC pumps is going to be the controller, other than power supply (which is fairly easy to spot check if you have a spare) I'd see if swapping a controller does anything for it.

Most of the mid to low end dc pumps come from the same manufacturer in china..
Most these pumps if you take away the plastic will look the same.
I have had good success with red dragon and abyzz that's why I pay the extra bit and buy r3d dragons(abyzz is too much I feel).

If pump start then stop in couple seconds it can either be the controller, the power supply or the pump..
Sorry not luch help but I have seen it all when the pimp start then stop after few seconds.
I will say this, most common was the power supply in such condition, but some times power supply failure end up damaging the conteoller as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I just know Jebao specifically, but most low-ish priced ones are very similar.

Yes, the pump has smarts in it.
The controller really just outputs a reference voltage to the pump to control speed.
I have built a controller with two resistors.
The main motor-driver electronics are inside the pump.

That said, the controller and power supply are usually the first to fail, and easy to replace.
So my recommendation: Take your pump over to someone that has a working similar one, and just
try it with their power supply and controller.

If you want to know where a pump done at just google
Hipool motors + the name of the pump vendor..

you would be suprised..

Which is why I simply use Jebao and have a replacement handy.
Yup,
That's why I laugh sometimes when I see a vendor boasting they do their pumps or dosers in house.
If you know the part number or the name of the product or the name of the vendor you can find out where exactly their products come from.
The majority of pumps and dosers in US comes from few chinese vendors who have cataloged of products for you to chose and slap your logo on..
Hipool is one of couple others.
That's why I do not see the value of buying dc pump just for controlability. It's just not worth it and I feel you get better roi on ac pumps. When it come to dc pump, Until you start going to higher end pumps and dosers you better lower your expectations.
Otherwise if you still want dc pump, do not spend alot of money and rather buy what you like plus a back up...or back up parts.
Nothing more devastating than return pump fail on you..even free replacment will not take away the pain you go through with a failed return pump...

Last edited:
Yup,
That's why I laugh sometimes when I see a vendor boasting they do their pumps or dosers in house.
If you know the part number or the name of the product or the name of the vendor you can find out where exactly their products come from.
The majority of pumps and dosers in US comes from few chinese vendors who have cataloged of products for you to chose and slap your logo on..
Hipool is one of couple others.
That's why I do not see the value of buying dc pump just for controlability. It's just not worth it and I feel you get better roi on ac pumps. Until you start going to higher end pumps and dosers.
Otherwise do not spend alot of money and rather buy what you like plus a back up...or back up parts.
Nothing more devastating than return pump fail on you..even free replacment will not take away the pain you go through with a failed return pump...

I hear ya. I used to use Reeflo Dart pumps. Ran solidly for 10y. Bearings got a bit noisy, but that it is it. Seems like all the DC pumps I'v had, give me some sort of issue after some.

I actually bought the equivalent AC pump to replace my skimmer's broken DC pump. My sump return pump is a "cheapo" Via Aqua 2600 that has been running 24/7 for 20 years.

V

Most of the mid to low end dc pumps come from the same manufacturer in china..
Most these pumps if you take away the plastic will look the same.
I have had good success with red dragon and abyzz that's why I pay the extra bit and buy r3d dragons(abyzz is too much I feel).

If pump start then stop in couple seconds it can either be the controller, the power supply or the pump..
Sorry not luch help but I have seen it all when the pimp start then stop after few seconds.
I will say this, most common was the power supply in such condition, but some times power supply failure end up damaging the conteoller as well.

I can’t wait to get my tank up and running to give a review of the abyzz.

Back