Reef nutrition

Derek's 225g - Magnifica / SPS Reef

Cleaning the glass Every.Single.Day would be might my nightmare. I am up to twice a week which bothers me already.

In a recent German youtube interview a LFS owner commented on this issue and said they are using either Zebra or Mexican Turbos only for this purpose, and almost never have to clean the glass - so there are surprised why people bother cleaning the glass at all.

However, I am not sure if any snail - or an army of them - can help you given your specific setup. Also, good flow only helps in my opinion with cyano, but not your glass algae. You are running a growth race in your tank with super high par and very high nutrients. How could any method outcompete algae growth in your tank unless you cut back on what makes your tank successful?

Ozone does not work with acryl, I believe?
100%, its just a side effect of how I run my tank. I already have an army of trochus snails, there’s no way. Maybe someday I’ll slow things down, or more likely swap out this tank for a glass one.

wow really and is not moving to your sps to sting them?
I wonder how it looks in real life. Are they expensive?
It’s pretty much isolated on its own rock. It doesn’t move around much these days, but requires a lot of light and flow to stay put - it’s sort of the baseline for my tank in terms of that. They aren’t expensive really, just hard to acclimate to captivity. Success rates are low - I got mine from @Krak256 and don’t even remember what I paid or traded for it - maybe he does. It’s my favorite thing in the tank though, and very low maintenance once established (I don't feed it - though I think the clownfish do).

S. magnifica are every bit as magnificent as their name suggests. Derek’s is no exception, it looks super healthy.

I want to see a video of it waving one day :)

As for the algae: that’s maybe 3 days of film for me. In hours? That’s pretty crazy.
I posted one a few pages back, here’s the link again. Maybe time for a new video soon though!

Last edited:
Back