got ethical husbandry?

Derek's 225g - Magnifica / SPS Reef

Frag tank plumbing progress -

IMG_2865.jpeg

Lots of big changes this week. Got the frag tank installed and electronics moved over. Haven't hung the light but it's plumbed, filled, and flowing. I will add a magnetic black front cabinet cover to match the DT when it arrives:
IMG_2887.jpg

Also ran a line from the garage for kalk. I'm mixing up 32g batches, stored in this brute next to my sink and other tanks. Dosing at night for now, mostly as an experiment to see what goes on with PH. It's also nice to consume less ESV 2 part, it's expensive and refilling the jugs and mixing traces is annoying - so I should get a lot more mileage out of it this way if I stick with the kalk, which I'm starting at 1g/day:
IMG_2888.jpg

Like @Alexander1312 my Quantas Helix lights also showed up, a full 6ft in length! They are a very nice product on first impression. Here they are on my light rack with the existing Reefis:
IMG_2876.jpg

IMG_2877.jpg

They only add about 250 PAR in the very center (so my Magnifica is getting about 850 PAR now, and the peak SPS are getting about 650). But they are mostly for spread, and they do a nice job of distributing an additional 50-100 throughout the tank while also getting a much better blanket of light, especially at the edges. They are angled about 30 degrees inward. No glare!

FTS before:
RH5A2292.JPG

FTS after:
RH5A2291.JPG

A little too blue for my liking - I can add more white to the Reefis to offset if I want to mess around with it. They do add a nice bit of pop without being overly fake/flourescent looking.

I'm not using any dimming or acclimation - just full blast on top of the Reefis for 5hrs a day. I am curious to see how the corals respond to the additional light. I suspect they will handle it just fine, we shall see.

Back