Reef nutrition

Do your tangs attack you?

Chromis

Supporting Member
So with the shelter at home my hands have been in the tank a lot more, and I guess my yellow tang finally had enough. She has started backing up waving her tail at my hand and I so far have managed to pull my hand out just in time before she can cut me. She gets along great with her tank mates (because she is the only tang in the tank). Is this a sign she’s outgrown the 5’Lx20W” tank?

b51e127c4598eb56b27ffd7b0e2685af.jpg

5ed6cca6efc130948a23de8060f744b0.jpg

Never attacked me like clownfish and chromis have over the years, but my yellow tang sure as hell tries to run my 200 gallon tank, always pushing up against the purple tang, and even occasionally against the Kole tang too.

Beautiful yellow tang.
Yes, my tangs are pretty aggressive and has nothing to with being outgrown in small tank. Wear gloves to be on the safe side. But then it's a good excuse to start planning for an upgrade.

I once had a yellow tang intentionally steer a newly added fish into a carpet anemone. Crafty. I sat there dumbfounded unable to do anything about it.

My tangs are actually friendly, including yellow tang.
When I scrape the glass, they come up to get the algae I peel off.
They brush against me at times, but not in any aggressive way at all.

But in my tank, the yellow tang is not the king of the hill. Sailfin and Foxface push him around.
I have heard rumors they can sometimes become aggressive if they are at the top, but no real data there.

Yikes! I don't have a yellow tang but thankfully my tomini doesn't do that to me. I have enough trouble with my darn clownfish doing sneak attacks on my hand though.

Never attacked me like clownfish and chromis have over the years, but my yellow tang sure as hell tries to run my 200 gallon tank, always pushing up against the purple tang, and even occasionally against the Kole tang too.

Oh oh, I have some large chromis in my tank as well... were they nesting when they attacked? Their bites don’t hurt like clownfish I hope?

My marine betta will attack my turkey baster as soon as it touches water.

My clowns will bite me if I go anywhere near them.

My yellow tang is a big scaredy-cat

Oh oh, I have some large chromis in my tank as well... were they nesting when they attacked? Their bites don’t hurt like clownfish I hope?
Maybe? I remember in my 180 they seemed to spawn regular it seemed (doing the tail shiver near some random dots on the back wall of the aquarium), but they got BIG too, not the tiny ones that you see in the fish store. And no not as painful as a clownfish bite, it's more like you feel them bump up against you, if you have hair on your arm maybe they yank that :D

Yes
I have a black tang that as a juvenile I was going to place it in a coral flat
But on more than one occasion,after it chased me out of the 40 gal holding tank swatting at me with its tail
I found it too much of a risk as I put my hands in that tank too often
The fish is now in my 300
We are currently safe from each other

Back