Reef nutrition

Dual DI Resin Chamber or Single for RO/DI Filtration needs

Just wondering if anyone has tried both setups using a single DI Resin chamber and also dual DI Resin chambers. Is there any added benefit to running two DI Resin chambers in terms of the longevity of the resin? Thanks.

Mike

I believe Spectrapure puts a 2nd DI filter on some of their units. Probably ensures 0 tds for a longer period, I would think. I have never done it though. Would it be worth the extra cost? I don't know. Maybe call them and ask about it.

I actually have 4 resin chambers in my system, mostly because when I ordered a bunch of bulk resin I got additional tube containers, but it insures I'm allowed to get a bit lazy in changing it out :D

That said, a properly set up system shouldn't need more than one chamber.

I know my single DI chamber brings me down to zero TDS, but I guess what I'm curious about is if a second chamber would increase the longevity of the resin overall. I would think the first chamber resin should get used at the same rate regardless of if you are running 1 or 2 chambers. However, the second chamber resin should be used up at a slower rate, even if the first chamber resin has been somewhat exhausted. It seems as though this might help with increasing longevity/performance of any given amount of DI Resin. Does this line of thinking jive?

Well yeah the first resin it makes contact with will most likely bring your water down to zero regardless of chambers, additional chambers are just for show, however if any residual creep does get by either by channeling of liquid or resin depletion then the other ones will pick up the slack. I have the color changing stuff but honestly I forget what color it's supposed to be as it often separates in the containers.

I can't be the only one who doesn't check his TDS every time he makes water. When I do check I can periodically check between chambers just to see if they're actually doing anything (i.e. if the resin is depleted).

sfsuphysics said:
Well yeah the first resin it makes contact with will most likely bring your water down to zero regardless of chambers, additional chambers are just for show, however if any residual creep does get by either by channeling of liquid or resin depletion then the other ones will pick up the slack.
+1

With an RO membrane thats changed at the proper intervals and proper flow rates for the DI housing, there really isnt a need for more than one DI filter. Having one DI chamber will also relieve system back pressure and allow for faster water production. Once the membrane starts to get old and clogged then TDS will climb. Then maybe a second DI would be a good idea if changing the membrane is for some reason not an option.

I had an extra di canister and thought about just adding it as a second di stage in my rodi setup.

I checked the tds before water enters the di canister, and it was already just 4, so I figured it would not do much good adding another di stage.

Then I thought about using it on the waste water line and using the water as well. The tds of waste water was about 170, which is higher than the tds of the tap water at 160. But the di stage on the waste water line was still able to get tds down to 0. but for sure the resin will not last. So in the end, I ended up just storing the extra di canister I have.

so imho, the second di stage is not necessary.

Back