Jestersix

Emergency- alk rising and ph dropping to dangerous level - complete tank crash

If you have any bubblers, you can put stuff in a 5 gallon bucket and make a temporary tank for whatever is still alive. Go have a beer for lunch, take a 30 minute break, then save what you can and call it a day.

Next step is get what's alive in a bigger temp tank than 5 gallon bucket while your big tank mellows out.

Then in a few days, when you've figured things out your livestock can go back in your tank.

We've all been there if we have been doing this long enough. You didn't do anything bad abandon ship with what’s alive or dumb, sometime stuff just happens and you have to react.

Good luck and do your best.
I agree. Abandon ship with what’s alive

If you have any bubblers, you can put stuff in a 5 gallon bucket and make a temporary tank for whatever is still alive. Go have a beer for lunch, take a 30 minute break, then save what you can and call it a day.

Next step is get what's alive in a bigger temp tank than 5 gallon bucket while your big tank mellows out.

Then in a few days, when you've figured things out your livestock can go back in your tank.

We've all been there if we have been doing this long enough. You didn't do anything bad or dumb, sometime stuff just happens and you have to react.

Good luck and do your best.
Thanks Michael. Whatever still alive is ina 5g bucket with heater and pump. I’m in process of mixing the second batch of 50% water change, maybe I’ll do the 3rd one today and call it the day

I'm so sorry for your loss; that’s terrible :( :(.

Finding out what happened and learning from this to hopefully prevent this going forward would be the only silver lining, if there is any at all.

What kind of alkalinity dosing did you do?

In addition to ICP, maybe we could also sponsor an Aquabiomics test? If it is bacterial related. Not sure if anyone has one lying around, and we can all chip in to run it? I would be happy to contribute.

Last edited:
I'm also in santa clara I have a 29 gallon tank I set up to quarantine a few corals, nothing in it except corals, live rocks and a few trochus snails, if you wanted me to play hotel to your 2 clowns and what ever other creatures are still alive, for a few days until you get your tank issue resolved? Just let me know

I'm so sorry for your loss; that’s terrible :( :(.

Finding out what happened and learning from this to hopefully prevent this going forward would be the only silver lining, if there is any at all.

What kind of alkalinity dosing did you do?

In addition to ICP, maybe we could also sponsor an Aquabiomics test? If it is bacterial related. Not sure if anyone has one lying around, and we can all chip in to run it? I would be happy to contribute.
Soda ash

Thanks for the offer but I have done 2 50% wc so far. Not sure if it’s worth testing the water now. I did collect the water before wc for ICP.

The tank remains slightly cloudy. So bacteria bloom is likely.

I'm also in santa clara I have a 29 gallon tank I set up to quarantine a few corals, nothing in it except corals, live rocks and a few trochus snails, if you wanted me to play hotel to your 2 clowns and what ever other creatures are still alive, for a few days until you get your tank issue resolved? Just let me know
Thanks for the offer. I have a qt setup as well. I’ll get to it tomorrow. I think the clowns should be fine in a 5g bucket for a day.

Questions:
Looks like sort of bacteria bloom for sure. I read ac alone will not solve the problem. I have a bare bottom with high flow. No dirty substrate.

Besides massive wc which I’m doing now, what I should do on the main tank?

Get some rest, some food and a drink. You are important too and having a clear head will help tomorrow.

Really sorry this has happened to you, but you did all that it is possible for you to do.

What a tragic day. :(

Completed second 40% wc. Mixing the third batch for one last wc for the day. Alk now at 9.4 after 2nd wc.

Install a UV.

Looks like most acro and monti got impacted the most. Couple of acro, namely Oregon, cali tort, and an unknown pink acro doing ok. Most monti bleached.

LPS seems okay (minus torch and frogspawn) . Zoas okay.

Tank still cloudy. All dosing is off.

Lifestock lost:
Fish- 3yrs old purple tank, damsel and anthias.
Misc - coral banded shrimps and half a dozed peppermint, tuxedo urchin

I’m still super frustrated not knowing the cause.

If you’re relying on sensors and probes
They must be maintained and calibrated
Often and regularly
It is why I do not incorporate them into my systems
The only thing i rely is automatic alk testing. I manually test alk when Alkatronic results seems off before I take any action . I agree with the sentiment in general.

Back