Reef nutrition

Frag Swap is Coming !!

I am contemplating bringing frags for the swap vs starting DBTC's for them. Thoughts?
Completely personal decision. Lots of people do both, with the same corals. Also meeting up at a frag swap is a great way to connect with someone to give them a DBTC coral they requested.

You need to bring 3 different corals to be able to swap, beyond that it’s generosity to the club and other members. Much like DBTC, but of course DBTC has it’s own rules.

If your goal is to share corals with other members, bringing them to the swap is the easiest and most effective way.

I am contemplating bringing frags for the swap vs starting DBTC's for them. Thoughts?
If you're looking to "bank them" in case of a crash, i.e. the corals are some what valuable to use, DBTC probably would be better although there's no guarantee they will be safe in said "bank". If you're just looking to share them amongst members with no hassle from you, definitely swap.

Also I like to say the more corals you bring the better your chances of getting something new that you want, since you're not going to pick your own corals but others might and that pick they do might be them not picking the coral you want :)

Not sure how the swap is being planned but in prior ones, which I've attended, the corals were separated out into LPS, SPS, softies. From there there were lists of corals which were deemed bonus corals (due to either their rarity and/or cost/demand). The bonus corals allowed you to be first in line before the general swap and this is how I've participated in the past. I usually pick out the corals that I want and then sit the rest of the rounds out. I've also done the general rounds for some friends of mine that couldn't make the event but still want some corals. :rolleyes: It's what happens when you bring 20+ corals to the swap and go home with 4-5 pieces max instead.

In regards to whether to bring corals to the swap or for DBTC, that's really up to you. I see DBTC corals as being eligible for swaps, but to a degree I see DBTC as a longer term commitment to keeping a specific piece of coral propagating for the benefits of others and yourself (e.g., in the event of you losing the coral in your tank and hoping to reacquire it). There's really only so much corals that you can fit in your tank, with the understanding that you can provide the right parameters for it to thrive and grow.

never been to one. will there be a high end section?
There is no exclusive high end section. All participants have a shot at some high-end stuff.

The exact rules will be posted as soon as more info is available I assume, but here (in a nutshell) is how it usually works. Swappers bring three corals. Many established members usually bring 10-20 corals. In any case, as long as you have brought three, everyone gets to pick a coral per round (until later rounds when it might be two just to get get through it.)

There are three categories of corals. Ultra, Bonus, and normal. The BoD will post a list of Utra and Bonus at some point. If you bring multiples of three bonus or Ultra corals you get to participate in a first "Ultra" round and/or a second "bonus round." After that rounds are normal and all get to participate. You'll note that people bringing Bonus and Ultra bring three. The they get to pick one coral in the special rounds. This leaves a lot of ultra and bonus corals for everyone down the road, and gives people a chance to get some truly nice stuff.

There is no exclusive high end section. All participants have a shot at some high-end stuff.

The exact rules will be posted as soon as more info is available I assume, but here (in a nutshell) is how it usually works. Swappers bring three corals. Many established members usually bring 10-20 corals. In any case, as long as you have brought three, everyone gets to pick a coral per round (until later rounds when it might be two just to get get through it.)

There are three categories of corals. Ultra, Bonus, and normal. The BoD will post a list of Utra and Bonus at some point. If you bring multiples of three bonus or Ultra corals you get to participate in a first "Ultra" round and/or a second "bonus round." After that rounds are normal and all get to participate. You'll note that people bringing Bonus and Ultra bring three. The they get to pick one coral in the special rounds. This leaves a lot of ultra and bonus corals for everyone down the road, and gives people a chance to get some truly nice stuff.
thanks bruce for clariying it throughly.

Oh I see - I asked because there weren't any name tags at the Oct 2020 frag swap (which was my first meetup) :)
Yeah that was a frag swap “lite” since it was during the pandemic and Mike didn’t have all of us helping. But still a good reminder for us that those kinds of details are important. I know I appreciate name tags.

Sounds so great! I’m curious if any will be available to buy as my tank is only 5-6 months old and have nothing to swap but need corals to fill out my display. Thanks! Scott
If I make it, I'm happy to bring a couple of LPS frags for you. If I don't make it, hit me up on PM and we can coordinate getting them over to you. I see you're in Petaluma, I'm down in Novato, so should be easy.

Back