Cali Kid Corals

Fragging rainbow and CB Flaming Bugatti chalices! [emoji304] [emoji91]

Chromis

Supporting Member
I bought this rainbow chalice two years ago at a CFM, and man did it go through a rough phase at first... it might have been too fresh of a cut, who knows... the recovery scared me away from cutting it for two years.

When I bought it:
3e2f66b5348ea7cccdf7acfb864ee42d.jpg

One year later, remounted in the new tank (still tiny):
bfc363477355401349901775d5205392.jpg

Then, exponential growth... being an engineer I have to show a data plot of number of eyes vs time [emoji851]
7160b9224c61163c29a80a40b8656bad.jpg

It started to grow down over the edges of the rock and was not about to plate out, so it was time to start cutting! The nice thing about the rainbow coral is it had equal parts blue & red, so I got some good balanced frags from it, but other frags were just blue or just red. I kept those mono-color frags and recombined then on tiles to keep for the next grow-out.
de9baa064f3b549ad9ec2db08d9f13ad.jpg

About one year ago I also got a one-eyed Flaming Bugatti frag from CB on eBay. This time I was a little smarter and mounted it on a FLAT surface:
47c3443901fa7b5aca10e5d4d88c1f47.jpg

Here it was last weekend:
9cf219ac29e3483493331b2d9a93cfde.jpg

I first used a bandsaw to cut just the chalice away from the substrate, so the resulting frags would be nice and thin (not a giant tall frag that has to grow down the sides before it can grow outward.
392383e20867aa33c6f5d65d405f8fed.jpg
68655f301f4e0025eb6f799156ea10b3.jpg

I’m sawing with one hand and taking photos with the other [emoji12]
ab9c89310cf17e5db884e66e560acfe9.jpg
997fa2aaf340e121af785fd7d8f3aa4f.jpg

0c9d297d3e428d3eb777f307ead33190.jpg

Here are some of the pieces I’m keeping, one has the classic maroon/gold and the other was where some blue was creeping back into the otherwise red/gold Flaming Bugatti. Maybe when it grows out it will be a rainbow Bugatti...
7903961e8f2683c9c8c66aca1c1e01b5.jpg

And here is a rainbow chalice I’m keeping:
f33e237e8e7fb29525c1200b478361b2.jpg
[emoji304]

Rainbow chalice question - You said, "The nice thing about the rainbow coral is it had equal parts blue & red, so I got some good balanced frags from it, but other frags were just blue or just red. I kept those mono-color frags and recombined then on tiles to keep for the next grow-out."
Do you mean you placed some red frags and some blue frags together so they would combine?
Did you place any mono-color together? Do you know if a mono-color piece will become rainbow eventually?

Rainbow chalice question - You said, "The nice thing about the rainbow coral is it had equal parts blue & red, so I got some good balanced frags from it, but other frags were just blue or just red. I kept those mono-color frags and recombined then on tiles to keep for the next grow-out."
Do you mean you placed some red frags and some blue frags together so they would combine?
Yes!

Did you place any mono-color together? Do you know if a mono-color piece will become rainbow eventually?
That was the question I had too. At least in this case, you can see the original frag area is outlined, and it seemed like the red/blue areas just got bigger. There might be some tiny streaks of blue starting in the red, but not much of any red starting in the blue. Even the Bugatti chalice which came in all red (it’s conventionally a red-gold chalice) started to get one small blue streak, I cut that specific area out to make a more blue grow out frag. So it seems like blue frags stay hopelessly blue and red frags eventually get small blue streaks, but the frag will only have balanced colors of it starts that way. That’s why I was careful how I fragged the rainbow chalice and put mono frags together to recreate the rainbow.
72d8065eb4cac2d1c2b6783065fce8e4.jpg

Love you data plot to show the growth :D

Although in astronomy we'd simply refer to that as an "inflation period" since the exponential growth in no way can continue

Nice write up. From what I’ve experienced, two pieces of the same chalice placed near each other will not fuse like Montipora, cyphastrea, or psammocora. My pink chalice butts up against each other forming clear outer boundaries where they meet. I have also tried putting two different chalices next to each other and where they meet, they have both decided to grow up toward the light forming a wall. I will post pictures tonight

Also impressive is the feed height on that bandsaw, I remember using one a while back (one of the original Inland Aquatics if foggy memory serves me well) and if it was larger than a 2-3 inches you couldn't fit it through.

Also impressive is the feed height on that bandsaw, I remember using one a while back (one of the original Inland Aquatics if foggy memory serves me well) and if it was larger than a 2-3 inches you couldn't fit it through.
this also makes me want to upgrade my bandsaw.

Here is a photo of the same pink chalice that will not fuse and to the right of it is a teal chalice that is growing upwards where they both meet.

GOPR0675.JPG

This is the same pink chalice growing in a different part of my tank that also does not fuse.
InkedGOPR0698_LI.jpg

It will be interesting to see how your frags heal and if they will fuse together over time.

It doesn’t look promising for fusion based on your example. I have two tiles with red and blue cuts of the rainbow chalice so we’ll see what happens.

It’s nice for this kind of job. Otherwise I prefer the Inland bandsaw - I don’t like recirculating the cutting water or lifting the heavy thing to dump the water out of the reservoir.

Here is a photo of the same pink chalice that will not fuse and to the right of it is a teal chalice that is growing upwards where they both meet.

View attachment 12274

This is the same pink chalice growing in a different part of my tank that also does not fuse.
View attachment 12275

It will be interesting to see how your frags heal and if they will fuse together over time.

Update - my chalices behaved the same way - you can take two pieces of the same chalice and put them next to each other, but they will not grow back together. Opposite of acropora behavior. Wonder why it works this way.

Red/blue sections of the same chalice:
3d1447f79258c5c90778d2499c3cecf0.jpg

Examples of acropora cut from the same
colony growing together in my tank:
06fbe777d912f6096182df4398d9eb0b.jpg

7e5f6c8f34b3a4f21dbf9f399e4ae3c1.plist

Also there is no such thing as grafting/grafted Montipora or acropora. Will explain in some
other thread...

The purple/blue Ora one I have does I think and somewhat recently fragged yes. I think the red one I have does it too. If I leave frags too close together they get stuck to each other.

Hmm maybe it makes a difference if they are cut and placed right next to each other vs. what I did, which was give them too much space so they are healed and “set in their ways” before running into each other...

Back