Cali Kid Corals

Fragging Workshop Sunday 2/26

Attending?

• Total voters

Srt4eric

Vice President
BOD
In preparation for our next Members’ Swap, we are having a fragging/dipping workshop Sunday, 2/26 from 1-3pm. As a bonus, because the event is hosted by High Tide Aquatics, you will get to check out a new saltwater shop at the same time!

Location: High Tide Aquatics, 2819 MacArthur Blvd, Oakland, CA 94602

Supporting members are welcome, can bring a guest (space permitting). No children since we will have some potentially dangerous equipment active.

We will be discussing and getting hands-on practice with techniques for fragging coral, mounting coral to plugs/rock, using frag containers/swap labels, dipping new frags for pests, and whatever else you guys would like. We will have band saws, bone cutters, scalpels, glue, plugs, rubble, etc to use. If you want to bring your own tools or donate some consumables, great (and let us know). Everyone should bring your own safety glasses, and gloves if you’ll use them.

We would like attendees to bring some coral colonies that you would like to have fragged up. It will help to have a variety of types of coral to practice on. What you do with the resulting frags of colonies you bring is completely up to you; options include taking them home again, donating some or all to the swap, giving or selling to the folks there, etc. Whatever makes sense for you, just have something in mind by the day of. The main thing we need is coral to practice on. Even dead coral skeletons would be helpful for practice.

Volunteers: we are also looking for additional volunteers who would like to help teach fragging techniques, please reply in thread below.

@jhuynh just graciously donated this colony of TSA The Fuzz for us to cut at the workshop!!!!

1000001503.jpg

I was able to change my work schedule so I can come for the first hour at least. I’ll bring some large pieces to frag- maybe the 2 foot blue chalice I have, a bunch of mushrooms for softie practice, and a large purple stylo colony if I can get it out.

Back