Reef nutrition

Free dual 150W Metal Halide fixture (large self contained fixture)

Hi guys, a while ago I had asked for ballasts for my halides, and NewJack was kind enough to give me his old halide fixture.
However, I ended up buying some LED fixtures instead and never used it.

I'll confirm specs and add a picture later tonight, but I wanted to post this here now since the fixture is in my garage and my
lovely wife is very close to murdering me. So I kept promising to offer it to the club members and this post is me doing that.

It's a large rectangular fixture that you can hang inside a canopy or suspend from your ceiling.

I'm very thankful to NewJack for giving it to me, and now I'm paying it forward to anyone who would like to use it.

If more than one person wants it, I'll give it to the first person who PMs me.

You'll have to come to San Mateo to pick it up, or meet me in San Jose at work (near Trimble exit off 101).

V

that Facebook group should be closing down to public posting access soon, or it is already closed.

Sorry Vince, metal halides are dinosaurs, even the pot growers don't want them.

I know it's a dinosaur because it came from my "era". But even I've moved to LEDs. I even still have reflectors and single ended fixtures and ballasts.
I could store it away but it would just be unused junk. I just feel bad about throwing it away since SOMEONE must surely be able to use it. I mean, it's a pay it forward fixture so I feel bad about trashing it.

But I feel worse about my wife complaining about it every week.

V

funny enough -- I was actually kind tempted... but decided my wife would kill and\or divorce me if I hand that thing in the garage blinding her as she pulls in.

would've been interesting for experimenting on light and nems.

funny enough -- I was actually kind tempted... but decided my wife would kill and\or divorce me if I hand that thing in the garage blinding her as she pulls in.

would've been interesting for experimenting on light and nems.

FREE! FREE!
Try it out!

I don't want to toss it in the garbage. The second I do someone will want it. I may try and hide it in the basement (well, crawlspace) when she's not looking.

V

Cool! It's all yours!
Where do you live/work? I'll be away for the weekend, but we can meet up next week if not this week. I live in San Mateo and work in San Jose near the airport.

V
I live in Mountain View and work in Sunnyvale... so in between both places you have to be! :eek:). can't get any easier...for me at least.

That said, you're going to have to put up with the dirty looks from your wife for at least another week. I am leaving for Barcelona on Sat for work and be out until Friday. Let's coordinate then?

I live in Mountain View and work in Sunnyvale... so in between both places you have to be! :eek:). can't get any easier...for me at least.

That said, you're going to have to put up with the dirty looks from your wife for at least another week. I am leaving for Barcelona on Sat for work and be out until Friday. Let's coordinate then?

Yes.that sounds great!

Vince Too

Now that I have saved @Vincerama2 from the wrath of the spousal unit...

...I hope someone is ready to save me from mine. Gotta sneak this one in and see I can get away with it somehow.

Hope someone has room to take this wondering treasure from me, should I need to present the opportunity forward. hah

I have an old halide pendant over my workbench. Anyone retrofit one for LED? I’ve seen kits but haven’t bothered yet.

Retrofit probably makes no sense. You could rip out the ballast and just run a wire for an LED fixture.

Most "mogul base" lights are sideways too, so that parabolic bulb in your photo probably won't work.

Let's not forget also that since it's legal to grow pot at home now....you'd think that the halide fixtures would actually be in demand .... w're just in the wrong forum for it!

V

PS. NanoCrazed ... thanks!

Back