Jestersix

Generators ( which one to buy )

Yeah, I was looking at a 200W panel + inverter + battery
I have about a 150W on my camper, with large batteries, inverter, and so on.
It handles roughly 15W 24/7 on a long trip, if I am lucky.
The problem: The sun is not as reliable as you think.
First, it is only running solidly for maybe 8 hours. Then there are trees, clouds, and so on.
Then there is winter. Power can go out then also.
And there are all the inefficiencies that add up.

So I would not consider solar a particularly reliable backup plan.

Propane no need to run outside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That’s a really good suggestion if you want to DIE! Seriously. While propane burns cleaner versus its gas counterpart, propane generator exhaust still contains carbon monoxide (I think it’s around half as much as a gas powered generator). So, yeah, don’t EVER run a generator inside regardless if it’s gas or propane!

Last edited:
Oops bad advise, I had a heater that runs off the propane gas and it was ok to run inside the tent.. maybe different scale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

difference is a tent is hardly air tight, even then you have to be very careful about heaters in tent in case you do have one of said air tight tents

So how are you guys running your generators, assuming they have to run over night? I can run mine in the backyard but am worried about disturbing my neighbors..I have one very nosy neighbor that will likely complain about the noise

We are going to need to update the home electrical and plan to add a gas powered generator for exactly times like these.

Unfortunately my two flats did not do so well during the outage due to heat loss
All other systems sho no signs of the interruption

So how are you guys running your generators, assuming they have to run over night? I can run mine in the backyard but am worried about disturbing my neighbors..I have one very nosy neighbor that will likely complain about the noise
If you're that worried get one of the quieter models but be prepared to spend more.

Its about as loud as a ac unit right?
Depends on the generator you get, some sound like a lawnmower. But a modern house with no open windows should be fine from exterior sound. who knows though, maybe more than just reefers will have generators and the whole neighborhood will have a hum about it

88168d6486698ee927ffeb4e7ad2d3a0.jpg

I got this one at Home Depot for $550 this week and it is more than enough power but also very loud compared to the Yamaha. I ran it all night on day one and two neighbors came over in the morning and said the couldn’t sleep, so I consider this a daytime only backup generator considering the noise level. Hope this helps some of you.
Have a great day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back