Our mission

Getting BTA off a rock?

kinetic

Supporting Member
I've read everything from rubbing the foot of the BTA until it starts to separate, to using a qtip to agitate the foot, to epoxying a long PVC pipe's segment around it so it crawls in to seek light... but what's your go to?

My rainbow has split five times and the entire rock is full of them. I'm going to offer them up in DBTC if there's interest or trade.

Great discussion about it from this previous post.

Great discussion about it from this previous post.

Oh I didn’t even see that thread. Interesting! I used to do this way back in the day with pvc and reef putty. The foam looks like a nice touch though. I had to break the pipe off the rock after

If I have too many and there is a frag swap on the way, I've taken the rock out and used a cold chisel to tap away at the rock under the nem. Often the rock chips off and the foot is still on the rock bits and sometimes you can grab the rock chips and slowly peel/encourage the nem off the rock.

Over the years, I must have separated something like 50 nems.

V

Never put them in your tank in the first place is the best solution :D

I've heard ice cube in a ziplock bag my irritate them enough to move, but if they bury their foot inside a good hole in the rock... you're stuck.

That tube method works but with some tweaks. I use a piece of pvc and cut a whole in a sponge, put the tube and sponge over the nem, put a 45* fitting over the top end of pvc, if the light is showing straight down the nem won’t move towards the light. Putting a 45 on the end will force the nem up the tube to get to the light! And boom!

That tube method works but with some tweaks. I use a piece of pvc and cut a whole in a sponge, put the tube and sponge over the nem, put a 45* fitting over the top end of pvc, if the light is showing straight down the nem won’t move towards the light. Putting a 45 on the end will force the nem up the tube to get to the light! And boom!
Great idea using the 45 degree fitting!

Back