Welcome to BAR - the Bay Area's premier saltwater hobbyists hub!

Gimmito's 450 gal L-shaped tank

Guest
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
4,757
sfsuphysics said:
Not too shabby Jim, what's your fish count up to? When are you going to stop? :D

I'm up to 29 fish in the main display. Although, the wife wants me to get rid of some of the Seale Cardinalfish. lol. I have the 4 clowns and the 6 anthias in QT, so that will bring it up to 39. I would like to add either a small school of square spot or borbonous anthias and few more pairs of wrasse (rhomboids, lineatus, etc.). 50 is probably my magic number though.
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2005
Messages
17,384
hehe ok.

Sad about the cardinal fish though, while they're not exactly super colorful, they do look nice. I think my next big tank is going to focus more on small fish than large, besides I have 2 tangs and a foxface that I'm sure could deal with most any algae issues.
 
Guest
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
4,757
Shhhh.....between you and me the cardinals aren't going anywhere. While not ultra colorful, their big blue eyes are too cool. Once the reef matures, they will stand out with a colorful background of corals. I don't have any large fish, with the sailfin probably being the largest fish in the tank. I'm still going for color and movement with the fish and corals.

p.s.

With 8 Zebrasoma tangs... algae doesn't stand a chance in the tank. :D
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2012
Messages
1,313
How many of those beauties do you have? I thought I saw 6 in the bucket and at least 5 in the last video.

Are they all female now?
 
Guest
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
4,757
aqua-nut said:
How many of those beauties do you have? I thought I saw 6 in the bucket and at least 5 in the last video.

Are they all female now?

I have just the 6 females. It's funny to watch the bickering between them who will become the male.
 
Guest
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
4,757
3E4E29B1-643A-40A3-B17C-D20161AE0B6C-7178-00001075051BD4B1.jpg


Finally got around to putting together a auto water change station. Some of you may recognize that this was Ian's old water change system. It's two 110 poly containers w/a tarpoon pump. The container to the left holds fresh water and even has a auto top off and the one to the right is for salt water. A couple of turn of the valves and water changes are easy peasy.
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2010
Messages
7,169
gimmito said:
Finally got around to putting together a auto water change station. Some of you may recognize that this was Ian's old water change system. It's two 110 poly containers w/a tarpoon pump. The container to the left holds fresh water and even has a auto top off and the one to the right is for salt water. A couple of turn of the valves and water changes are easy peasy.

Nice! But I thought for sure with plans for 50 fish you would have some super-fancy continuous change system.
;)
 
Guest
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
4,757
I thought about it, although I haven't found any data that supports continous water changes vs. standard water changes. Plus, I like to get my hands in there and wipe down the sump. ;)
 
Guest
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
4,757
Coral reefer said:
So 110 gal every how often?

I was doing 70 gal a week, but will up it to 100 gal. I seem to see things perk up when I do.
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2010
Messages
7,169
gimmito said:
Kensington Reefer said:
The sump? Wipe down the sump? Who does that?!!

C'mon there's gotta be other folks that do !

Well, there might be a few. Maybe those same strange people that remember to clean their pumps regularly.
But not me.

Wow. 100 gallons a week.

There is a great article on continuous water change here:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/index.php
The gist : It does not make much difference. Key is the overall gallons per month.
 
Guest
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
4,757
rygh said:
gimmito said:
Kensington Reefer said:
The sump? Wipe down the sump? Who does that?!!

C'mon there's gotta be other folks that do !

Well, there might be a few. Maybe those same strange people that remember to clean their pumps regularly.
But not me.

Wow. 100 gallons a week.

There is a great article on continuous water change here:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/index.php

The gist : It does not make much difference. Key is the overall gallons per month.

Great article...totally agree.
 
Top