got ethical husbandry?

Gimmito's 450 gal L-shaped tank

sfsuphysics said:
Come on if it wasn't for all of this off-topic type stuff Jim would be nowhere close to celebrating his 2000th post! :D

I really should categorize all the topics that have gone on in this thread.

The well roundedness astounds. H)

Speaking of TOTM, here's Dan Riggle's TOTM:

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/75-tank-of-the-month

and my personal favorite Steve Weast's TOTM:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-03/totm/index.php

Oh yeah, Jim, I was thinking of a BIGGER tank, Denzil says 500 gallon, I was thinking more along the lines of tank dimensions such as: 10ft long x 3ft wide x 4ft high, almost 900gallons. However, I'm one of those people that would say "Let's make it an even 1000!" LoL ;)

Sorry my posts are a little late, been at work and in class all day.

Jim, I never thought about your salt usage, no wonder why you had so many empty buckets ;)

As much as I would like to set up something to help with the nitrAtes (bio pellets, something) I haven't found anything better than water changes either, in fresh water for my puffers or my SW tank. I hate doing water changes, so, the only way to make them more likable to me, is to find better, easier ways of doing them. If it means I need to buy a garbage can and a good pump, ok then, I will do it. (I got sick of lifting the jugs up to the tanks, and when I got the 90 and I needed a stool to do so, that's when I put my foot down).

Maybe it's just my imagination, I can always tell after I do a water change; fish seem to get all excited after they get a fresh batch of water. To me, not doing water changes is like not cleaning a cat box: you can only go so long before the waste build up is unmanageable and unhealthy. Instead of having a cat that uses the litter box, it now craps all over your floors. In the tank, instead of having live fish you have dead fish, or fish with a compromised life span due to the toxicity of the water. But I digress. I use my fire fish as a good indicator of how my tank is doing: if their little fins are up, tank is doing pretty good, and I don't need to worry. If they are down and the firefish aren't darting around the tank, I pull out my test kits and start mixing a batch of new water. It may be an imprecise way, but it's a way that works for me at this point and that I am fairly (fairly) certain that I can rely on after my observations of my fish. And ask Denzil, I watch my fish a lot.

Any who, just my two cents. My motto: The solution to pollution is dilution! Annnd then: It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly.

**Edit: I do water changes every week, on Saturdays. When I was talking about using my firefish, I meant that even if it's right after a water change, or middle of the week, they are a good indicator to myself if there is something wrong, and not that I only do water changes when their fins are down. LOL.

goldielocke76 said:
Oh yeah, Jim, I was thinking of a BIGGER tank, Denzil says 500 gallon, I was thinking more along the lines of tank dimensions such as: 10ft long x 3ft wide x 4ft high, almost 900gallons. However, I'm one of those people that would say "Let's make it an even 1000!" LoL ;)

Sorry my posts are a little late, been at work and in class all day.

Watching your animals usually is a good indicator how your water is. Wow, you do think big ! I would recommend going with a deeper tank, rather than a taller tank. Remember, it gets extremely hard to maintain a tall tank. My tank is 30" + the 2" steel frame & 2" 2x4 on top of it. I can barely reach the bottom of the tank standing on a utility ladder. Also, a deeper tank affords you more aquascaping possibilities. :)

I've created a thread to further discuss they hypothesis of a self-sustainable reef tank without any water changes here to keep Jim's thread on topic. ;)
http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/14967

gimmito said:
sfsuphysics said:
Wow that was a pre-OregonReef tank that Weast had!

To my knowledge that was his original 500 gal Oregon Reef...that eventually turned into a 800 gal reef.

Correct... its the original OregonReef, and the very one that graces every Reef Nutrition bottle and quite a bit of our marketing. Great guy, too bad he got out 100%.

BAYMAC said:
gimmito said:
sfsuphysics said:
Wow that was a pre-OregonReef tank that Weast had!

To my knowledge that was his original 500 gal Oregon Reef...that eventually turned into a 800 gal reef.

Correct... its the original OregonReef, and the very one that graces every Reef Nutrition bottle and quite a bit of our marketing. Great guy, too bad he got out 100%.

Say it isn't so ! I thought he moved to a new house and was setting up a new peninsula style reef and a large coldwater system ??

Unless things have changed since last spoke to him which I swear was earlier this year, but could have been late last year... he's got no aquarium.

"I thought about that...but getting those 3 sharks and all those turtles will be tough. Maybe Parker (H20 player) can."

Only if I win the lottery! Then, I am thinking the floor of the fish room would be a shark/ray tank. Looked into turtles, there is really no feasible/legal way for private individuals to hold them in California. :-(

Back