Welcome to BAR - the Bay Area's premier saltwater hobbyists hub!

Gimmito's 450 gal L-shaped tank

Guest
Joined
Feb 21, 2008
Messages
5,655
gimmito said:
melly mel said:
Jim, that looks damn good! Wish my tank was close to being as awesome as yours! I know I read about you using some type of product to cycle your tank but I cant remember what page it was. Can you tell me what products you used and how long your cycling time was?

Thanks Rommel,

I used Dr. Tim's One and Only. The cycle time took about 10 days total w/the addition of ammonium chloride that Dr. Tim provides for free w/purchase (try and keep a 2-3ppm during the cycle). You can checkout the cycle starting on page 107.

Here's a link to Dr. Tim's:

http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/One_Only/OneOnly.html

Nah ! I heard you had your kids take a swim in cold water, prior to that you had them drink lots of water.
 
Guest
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
4,757
xcaret said:
gimmito said:
melly mel said:
Jim, that looks damn good! Wish my tank was close to being as awesome as yours! I know I read about you using some type of product to cycle your tank but I cant remember what page it was. Can you tell me what products you used and how long your cycling time was?

Thanks Rommel,

I used Dr. Tim's One and Only. The cycle time took about 10 days total w/the addition of ammonium chloride that Dr. Tim provides for free w/purchase (try and keep a 2-3ppm during the cycle). You can checkout the cycle starting on page 107.

Here's a link to Dr. Tim's:

http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/One_Only/OneOnly.html

Nah ! I heard you had your kids take a swim in cold water, prior to that you had them drink lots of water.

Jim's "One and Only" does has a nice ring to it. I can see me telling the kids "Drink more water.... we're behind in production !". :p
 
Guest
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
4,757
2db1b9cd.jpg


Gen dropped off my water resevoir tower for the main display. It measures 14"x9"x42" and holds about 23 gallons. It will allow me to go a week without having to refill it.
 
Guest
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
4,757
7d6531fb.jpg


Gen also modified my frag racks. They were accumilating too much detritus inder the racks, so Gen routed them out and made different feet for more flow.
 
Guest
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
4,757
29c1f4a4.jpg


I also scored a couple of Ecotech MP10's from Bryan (SeminoleCPA). I'll use one on the 40 gal fuge and the other on the RSM.
 
Guest
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
4,757
173c4645.jpg


The water tower in place. I also got to plumb in the bio pellet reactor (Reef Octopus SR-140), I plumbed the outlet of the reactor directly into the feed line into the skimmer. I'll have to play with the flow to get it dialed in.
 
Guest
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
4,757
You know the ole saying "Do you know the difference between a boy and a man ?
It's the price of his toys." $)
 
Guest
Joined
Apr 1, 2010
Messages
2,752
have i showed you my car build..... LOL that is my cash cow so i know the saying real well.....

btw the surrounding systems are looking good and glad gen got u some better feet for the racks. i thought the usa was going into recession we pay our mail people way to much,LOL!
 
Guest
Joined
Jun 10, 2008
Messages
150
Hi Jim,

Wow, gotta love how your whole system is turning out! I was curious as to the type of tubing that you are using that is connected to your Reef Octopus SR-140, and where you found it.
 
Guest
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
4,757
mike1962 said:
Hi Jim,

Wow, gotta love how your whole system is turning out! I was curious as to the type of tubing that you are using that is connected to your Reef Octopus SR-140, and where you found it.

Hi Mike,

I was using 3/4" spa flex, but the reactor and Y connector didn't fit it. I'm using 3/4" flex hose now that I bought from Urban Farmer in the city.

http://www.urbanfarmerstore.com/

A little trick is to heat up some water in a cup and dip the end of the tubing into the water for about 15 seconds before attaching to the fitting. It makes it more malleable and life easier. ;)
 
Guest
Joined
Mar 11, 2009
Messages
1,252
gimmito said:
melly mel said:
Jim, that looks damn good! Wish my tank was close to being as awesome as yours! I know I read about you using some type of product to cycle your tank but I cant remember what page it was. Can you tell me what products you used and how long your cycling time was?

Thanks Rommel,

I used Dr. Tim's One and Only. The cycle time took about 10 days total w/the addition of ammonium chloride that Dr. Tim provides for free w/purchase (try and keep a 2-3ppm during the cycle). You can checkout the cycle starting on page 107.

Here's a link to Dr. Tim's:

http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/One_Only/OneOnly.html

Thanks Jim! Keep them pics coming!
 
Guest
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
4,757
eldiablosrt8 said:
have i showed you my car build..... LOL that is my cash cow so i know the saying real well.....

My neighbor is into restoring cars also and I always tell my wife "It could be worse...I could be into cars" :D

eldiablosrt8 said:
I thought the usa was going into recession we pay our mail people way to much,LOL!

I wish that was the case...I think I need to get into the coral farming business. ;)
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2005
Messages
6,636
This is the best, nicest setup I have ever seen! ........ for an empty fish tank with no life.
 
Guest
Joined
Mar 11, 2009
Messages
1,252
I am thinking about ordering some this weekend. Normally I wouldnt mind the waiting period of letting it cycle naturally but due to having to move in the next month or 2, I want to make sure cycle is complete. I did start the cycle process by throwing a piece of shrimp in this past weekend and a couple cups of live sand.

I was thinking let the ammonia build up and by the time I get the Dr.Tim's in the bacteria will take cafe of the ammonia build up? I know you said to not let it get past 2ppm but if it does, will it have an adverse effect on the whole cycling proccess?
 
Top