Cali Kid Corals

glee's tank journal

Water changed today. I drained about 19-20 gallons from display and about 1 gallon from the nano. Started the pump to push new saltwater in to tank and took a phone call...then responded to emails...answered some texts...fielded another phone call and two hours later...I get up to make lunch. I forgot all about the water change. Fortunately, my salt-water container only holds around 20g. Im short about 1-2 gallons of saltwater so have to make a small batch...

A second head of my purple hammer had brown jelly so I cut that off. Down to the last head. I moved it away from my other euphyllias. I hope this last head survives and grows again....

IMG_9325.JPG
Anyone know what type of coral this is? It's more tealish blue in my eyes and encrusts like a cyphastrea. The person I got it from called it a monti but it doesnt have a thin skeleton like montis.

Last edited:
Found my maxi mini carpet anemone moved and bothering my zoas so picked up the rock and held it in front of my power head. Surprisingly, the foot started to move a little and I was able to pull it off my rock. Back in a rubble cup and in to the frag tank. After that, I picked up a rock with my RBTA and tried the same trick. It didn't even budge lol.

20g water change today. Emptied sump and vacuumed all detritus. Thin layer of red slime on water surface of frag tank. Is this due to over feeding?

Made a new batch of diy fish food. 2 large pacific oysters, 5 cherry clams, 1 sheet of nori.

15g water change. Transferred large piece of live rock from tank to sump. Need to purchase/install feeding ring and set up fish feeder...

Vacation time? Or just moving towards being lazier faster? :D
I only use the auto fish feeder with New Life Spectrum sinking pellets when I go on prolonged family vacations. But each time I do this, I notice algae growth in display. This is probably due to over feeding, uneaten food in the overflow, etc. When I get the feeding ring set up, I'll need to cut an opening in my cover and start using flakes instead. Im starting grad school next week, so Im going to have less time for everything...

I like flakes personally, as fish seem to be more drawn to them and there's less fuss doing the whole "will they eat it and spit it out? Is it too big for them? WHY WONT YOU EAT!!!" (personal experience, not the norm I'm sure). The downside is you do need to crush the flakes up otherwise irregular shapes can cause a backup.

My chromis wont eat the small pellets. I'll do flake 3x a day with the feeder and supplement with nori sheets, DIY food, and pellets. I want my fish to recognize me when I stick my face at the tank lol.

Finally did a 15g water change. Lost some corals :(
I need to find some time to keep up with a monthly water change when the semester starts again.

Back