Neptune Aquatics

glee's tank journal

Woot! Congratulations! Now the fun of the "real world". See if you can give yourself a vacation before you start working. I know I wish I had taken a few months between school and work if I could have.
I've been working with school at the same time for the most part. I got laid off for 3 months but started working again in Feb. It was indeed a nice break while it lasted. The wife didn't think so though lol

This was a pic from one of my posts in 2012. My mama clown passed away today. Insert Sad Face here.
Capture.PNG

10g water change. Siphoned out some algae and destroyed some vermetidae snails. Saw a couple of baby snails getting bigger. Thanks @Coral reefer

Changed my lighting schedule to not have lights on between 4-9pm. 4-9pm 7 days a week are the new peak demand hours and costs for electricity are higher during this time frame. Also, with the hot weather, drought, fires, etc, there's a great deal of strain on the grid so just doing my part to use less energy during these time frames.

This is the beginning of me getting this tank back to shape I hope. Going to take it slow since I havent done a water change in a long time. I didnt even scrape the glass. I'll prob do another water change next week and see how the corals react to this water change and new light schedule.

Since my mama clown passed, Im not sure what to do with the existing clown. Should I add a new Clarki?

Unfortunately it's that 4-9pm period that most people will be home and wanting to use electricity... but oh yeah this is all to help climate change because instead of people just getting charged more money they will instead drastically adjust their lifestyles :D

That said, I'd try to do some math on your lighting, not sure how they'll do "baseline quantities" with TOU pricing, but it'll be anywhere from 7 to 14c more per kWh during peak period, and if you had say 200 watts worth of lights, your electric bill will only be about $2-4 more per month in summer months, or 0.60-$2.70 in winter months, depending on how baseline quantities are computed, which very well may be worth it as if you aren't around to enjoy at your tank, why bother?

Instead of an afternoon to evening light schedule, I am switching to an AM to PM light schedule. Ive been working from home for the past 8 years, so I have the ability to see my tank during the day.

It's not about climate change. More about stability of the grid. 4-9p is the new peak demand hours when solar is no longer available. Utilities have to rely on other means of generation and imports to meet demand. With the fires in Oregon, we arent able to consistently get the 5 GW of imported electricity. If another transmission line went down and/or a power plant has to shut down (N-1 or N-2), there's a high possibility that capacity will not be able to meet demand, especially when everywhere outside of SF is 100-116 F.

Let's say someone's grandparents rely on some sort of life support system that requires electricity and there's a rolling black out. If 5 million households saved 100W for 1 hr, it can be the difference between a rolling black out or not. That's why I bother. Saving a couple of bucks is a byproduct.

And I dont want to detract from my tank diary so if you want to continue this conversations, just text me man lol.

visited Steve at Lucky Ocean yesterday. still going strong and keeping the locals happy. there was a mother and her kid going for it for the first time. Steve did the assembly for the tank and put it back in the box so they wouldnt have to struggle with the initial setup. Who's going to do that? I've been visiting Lucky Ocean for almost 17 years and you should too if you are in the area. I dont buy much livestock anymore but always get my fish food here.

12g water change, scraped glass for the first time in ages, siphoned a bunch of crud. yumas are looking delicious, hammers probably doubled, sps recession, chalices not growing, some zoas spread some not, anemones split and terrorizing some corals.

visited Steve at Lucky Ocean yesterday. still going strong and keeping the locals happy.
Still talking about how he's going to retire "next year"?

I love Steve while he wasnt the first lfs I went to or the most convenient to get to, he was always willing to talk shop, fish, etc. He used to give me corals way back when that "probably wouldn't make it in his tank" which was just a vho actinic bulb, and is the sole reason why I got addicted to this hobby otherwise I would be another guy with fish and a fake coral insert at most... basically what those Tanked guys used to specialize in

Nah, he's never retiring as long as he can breathe lol. He love's what he does; just needs a young person to help with the heavy lifting. So I you have a kid that's willing to put in some work, hit him up. I remember when I would say "will work for corals" but Im passed that phase in my life lol.

Nah, he's never retiring as long as he can breathe lol. He love's what he does; just needs a young person to help with the heavy lifting. So I you have a kid that's willing to put in some work, hit him up. I remember when I would say "will work for corals" but Im passed that phase in my life lol.
I’m still on that phase but hit the pause button and is stuck...

Back