Cali Kid Corals

Good camera for taking pictures of our tanks

There isa so much to learn on a DSLR. Im still learning all the features on my new camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vincent - That is great! I brought home our GoPro over vacation to figure out how to use it for just the same purpose! Nice! I am very interested in your setup - were you holding it by hand or on a stick? Was it difficult to avoid crashing into corals?

has anyone used orange gel filters for quick pics with iphone? any recommendations?

Before getting those, I'd recommend trying to download camera apps that can manually adjust white balance and tint before taking the shot. They help a lot more than just gels, and you can even fine tune it to whatever lighting you have.

I use the app Manual, but there are a bunch of others as well.

My best shots are with my old Olympus Tough underwater camera.
It has a couple of underwater white balance settings built in, and a good macro.
You can get right up to the coral and take great shots.

Another tip:
If your tank has easily programmable lighting, crank up the white a bit before taking shots.

My best shots are with my old Olympus Tough underwater camera.
It has a couple of underwater white balance settings built in, and a good macro.
You can get right up to the coral and take great shots.

Another tip:
If your tank has easily programmable lighting, crank up the white a bit before taking shots.
same here
image.jpg

works great and takes pretty good macro shots.
4i2bcxomm5b11.jpg

That filter does look nice. May get one.

The big issue:
Camera sensors are Red+Green+Blue. ( Bayer - R/G/G/B)
The huge amount of blue light ends up pushing the blue sensor near saturation.
Once that happens, the color calculations become a rather non linear and error prone.
White balancing and photoshop can make it look less blue, and better, but you still have poor color resolution.

I find yellow filters work better than orange so you may need to consider trying both depending on your light settings

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have the polylab one. Comes with a macro lens and 2 filters.

I use that sometimes in conjunction with and app like Aquarium Cam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking back in time thru this thread I see recommendations for some Sony cameras. Naturally, they are much less expensive now. What are your thoughts of buying older used digital camera gear? eBay has some bodies for $80. A good option for trying out photography? Or are these typically basketcases?

When buying a body, all that’s needed is a lens?

Back