Jestersix

Google Map of LFS & Fish Businesses

BAYMAC

Guest
BUT....


bondolo said:
GreshamH said:
Kensington Reefer said:
If you are including what was:
The Octopus's Garden
2002-2005
I think people want to know where they can shop, not what closed down over half a decade ago :lol:
I am currently putting closed businesses (within reason) onto the map. For a google search for "The Octopus's Garden Berkeley" only one hit (yelp, the third hit) of 15 or so returned hits includes info that the place is closed. Crummy sites like YP.com, insiderpages, citysearch and bizrate make it hard to tell what the truth is (and it's impossible to get them to update their data). These sites will probably be returning the same data in 2025 and 2112. :sigh:

I did spend some time in September trying to go to Ocean Treasures in the city.....

Aqua Exotic may need to be added
 

denzil

Past President
BAYMAC said:
BUT....


bondolo said:
GreshamH said:
Kensington Reefer said:
If you are including what was:
The Octopus's Garden
2002-2005
I think people want to know where they can shop, not what closed down over half a decade ago :lol:
I am currently putting closed businesses (within reason) onto the map. For a google search for "The Octopus's Garden Berkeley" only one hit (yelp, the third hit) of 15 or so returned hits includes info that the place is closed. Crummy sites like YP.com, insiderpages, citysearch and bizrate make it hard to tell what the truth is (and it's impossible to get them to update their data). These sites will probably be returning the same data in 2025 and 2112. :sigh:

I did spend some time in September trying to go to Ocean Treasures in the city.....

Aqua Exotic may need to be added
Aqua Exotic was already added. ;)
 

BAYMAC

Guest
denzil said:
BAYMAC said:
BUT....


bondolo said:
GreshamH said:
Kensington Reefer said:
If you are including what was:
The Octopus's Garden
2002-2005
I think people want to know where they can shop, not what closed down over half a decade ago :lol:
I am currently putting closed businesses (within reason) onto the map. For a google search for "The Octopus's Garden Berkeley" only one hit (yelp, the third hit) of 15 or so returned hits includes info that the place is closed. Crummy sites like YP.com, insiderpages, citysearch and bizrate make it hard to tell what the truth is (and it's impossible to get them to update their data). These sites will probably be returning the same data in 2025 and 2112. :sigh:

I did spend some time in September trying to go to Ocean Treasures in the city.....

Aqua Exotic may need to be added
Aqua Exotic was already added. ;)
The post was 99.99% about what I quoted ;) The bold part about adding closed stores ;)

denzil said:
DPV is closed as of 1/15.

See bold part
 

bondolo

Supporting Member
I have updated the map to mark Dolphin Pet Village as closed. Bummer! I only ever made it there once and was headed to Santa Cruz so couldn't buy anything.

Looking at the map it's more clear than ever that the best place, currently to site a new LFS in the bay area is Mountain View. Just off of the 85 and 237 near El Camino would seem to be the center of a gaping coverage hole.
 

aqua-nut

Supporting Member
Speaking of coverage holes, how about the north bay! There are NO LFS in Marin. I've been trying to convince Robert (Neptune) to open a satellite store up here but so far, he has resisted. I have not given up my efforts! ;)
 

BAYMAC

Guest
There are major reasons why neither of those locations have an LFS... cost per square foot, cost of doing business. One would think areas of money would be a great place to start one, rich people like tanks too... unfortunately that is not really correct. Look at Carmel and Monterey. no decent store has ever been able to survive there, even here in Santa Cruz.
 
aqua-nut said:
Speaking of coverage holes, how about the north bay! There are NO LFS in Marin. I've been trying to convince Robert (Neptune) to open a satellite store up here but so far, he has resisted. I have not given up my efforts! ;)
I am not falling for this one John...lol. Dealing with two locations is way more than I can chew right now.
 

aqua-nut

Supporting Member
robert4025 said:
aqua-nut said:
Speaking of coverage holes, how about the north bay! There are NO LFS in Marin. I've been trying to convince Robert (Neptune) to open a satellite store up here but so far, he has resisted. I have not given up my efforts! ;)
I am not falling for this one John...lol. Dealing with two locations is way more than I can chew right now.
robert4025 said:
aqua-nut said:
Speaking of coverage holes, how about the north bay! There are NO LFS in Marin. I've been trying to convince Robert (Neptune) to open a satellite store up here but so far, he has resisted. I have not given up my efforts! ;)
I am not falling for this one John...lol. Dealing with two locations is way more than I can chew right now.

All I saw was the 'right now'. That translates to 'maybe'! :lol:

Hope springs eternal!!

Keep doing what you are doing. Ray Kroc started with only one store. :bigsmile:
 

bondolo

Supporting Member
I have been there several times most recently in December. The owner seems like a nice guy and went out of his way to order a cheap part (pump volute) for me. The owner is reasonably professional though I have found some of the weekend hours staff to be useless. The store prices are a bit better than the bay area stores. The tanks are well cared for and clean and all of the livestock seems well treated.

I have heard the usual stories from at least one person that they had a bad experience. Probably par for the course. Seems like an OK store to me.
 

bondolo

Supporting Member
There's a new version of this map:

San Francisco Bay Area Marine Aquarium Businesses

I will probably update only this version from now on. I've moved to this new map engine mostly because it allows layers/folders so that you can show/hide closed businesses (yay!)

Updates welcome. I have closed public editing of the map because of repeated vandalism. It's easy to fix but annoying and sometimes I don't notice for weeks at a time.
 
Top