Welcome to BAR - the Bay Area's premier saltwater hobbyists hub!

How are you measuring salinity?

Supporting Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2010
Messages
7,169
I have a question on calibration. This was an issue Hubby and I had this morning. After calibrating with the 35 solution the RODI water was under 0. Is that possible? Did we get bad 35 calibration solution?
Already answered, but I will add that this is the key reason I will never calibrate with RODI again.
Although my newer refractometer did not have that issue. It matched at both.
 
Guest
Joined
Nov 26, 2016
Messages
1,948
So I bought the Milwaukee salinity meter based on the good reviews here... it was easy to calibrate and tested the 1.025 test solution as 1.025. That was a good start.

The hydrometer was reading 1.0255 as usual on my reef, but the Milwaukee said my tank was only at 1.021! This was more consistent with the 2 older hydrometers I was recently given that made me suspect hydrometers aren't very accurate. I'm really mad at myself to think I trusted a $5 hydrometer for years, but also excited to find out how nice my corals will get once I increase the salinity and let them have some trace elements :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Guest
Joined
Nov 29, 2015
Messages
5,041
Like Kris (@Kmooresf) said, he uses a hydrometer to measure his salinity and has been for years. I tested his water with my refractometer when I picked up som frags from him (thank you by the way). It was pretty much dead on.
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2009
Messages
761
Before buying the Milwaukee, was thinking of getting veegee refractometer.

For Milwaukee, I keep roll of toilet paper and RODI bottle to double rinse between readings.
 
Guest
Joined
Nov 29, 2015
Messages
5,041
Guest
Joined
Sep 6, 2009
Messages
324
New hanna digital refractometer..
294b72fd4d82d909d380f73ee17db969.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Guest
Joined
Nov 26, 2016
Messages
1,948
I plan to switch 2gal/week of RO topoff water to saltwater. For a 40g tank, that's adding about 5% more salt per week, which should increase salinity about 1ppt per week. So it will take about 3 weeks to get from 1.021 to 1.024. That's probably slow enough to notice any changes in the corals.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Guest
Joined
Mar 2, 2015
Messages
4,004
With a rise in salinity, all other parameters will increase in levels too. If you are dosing anything, I would take extra measurements to make sure you don't over dose.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Top