Kessil

How many heaters are you using?

I use four heaters in my tank, which, of course, makes it impossible for their thermostats to figure out what's going on.

I have two in the main tank, and two in the sump, one problem I have is that feather dusters and sponges seem to seek out the warmth and stick to them, making them inefficient.

Just wondering what you guys do.

My tank runs at about 82, but I'm thinking of dropping it down to 78-80.

V

I run it at 78. Its a 40 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump and 10 gallon frag tank attached.

Using only 1 heater during the summer.

In winter I have to use 2 heaters to maintain 78

I have two, both in the fuge. I run 78.5.
The main controller does normal control, and heater themostats are set to 80.

What is stuck to them does not matter for efficiency, the only efficiency loss is heat up through the power cord.
So basically 99.9% efficient regardless.
Although the crud can affect internal temperatures, which affects electronic longevity, so it is still an issue.

I run 2. Both in the sump, the main heater is run off a Medusa heater/chiller controller. And the second heater ( which is my back up) runs off a reef keeper. The reef keeper will kick it on if the tank ever drops below a certain point.

I have one heat that rarely ever comes on controlled by the Apex using the season table so my tank through out the year will range from 75 (Feb) to 80.5 (Aug), with the heaters internal thermostat set to 81 so if there was ever a failure it would not cook my tank.

feather dusters and sponges growing on your heaters don't make them any less efficient, that energy is still going into the tank even if it's a sponge being a little warmer instead of the water.

Tanks are 76.5 to 77.5, our controllers have a 1 degree temp swing. I use one 1000w heater in the summer and two 1000w heaters in the winter. Our frag systems are about 600 gallons each.

Sounds like I need one of those Fancy-Pants Apex thingies. I have an Aquacontroller Jr, which is actually ... a thermometer since I don't use any of the features at all.

V

So basically 99.9% efficient regardless.
Although the crud can affect internal temperatures, which affects electronic longevity, so it is still an issue.

I'd give it a 99.8% efficiency unless you're heater uses 10 gauge wiring. I know you've got that laying around @rygh. ;)

90g = 2 in sump, controlled by Ranco.
5.5g = 1 in tank, internal thermostat only.

All temperatures zeroed in on using infrared thermometer. All heaters are the trusted and true Ebo Jagers/Eheim.

After having the Apex, Apex Jr, RKL, and RKE over the years, Ranco industrial controllers are the way to go for controlling temperature. I think a big issue is reliability, for which, the EB8s, EB4s, and PC4s have all failed me at some point.

$50, and temperature will stay within 1 degree of the set temp which for me is 78.

I have two: one in return section of sump and one in tank's overflow. Temp 76-79 deg. Was thinking it might be too low but I see others run cool, as well.

3 titanium, 500w heaters with no thermostats. Run by a Ranco controller. Keep the tank at 78'. This is constant as it never gets that warm in Pacifica.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back