Neptune Aquatics

How to Open Stubborn Bucket of Salinity Salt

I suspect that if a bucket gets hot and or compressed that the air in it leaks out essentially creating a vacuum inside when it cools.

Stacking issue Jon & Dave. Top buckets don't have the issue, as you get lower, it gets worse.

Bondolo... probably onto something there. My RODI is held in massive holding tanks and the CO2 is blown off prior to use.

Joe@Aquatic Collection said:
Stick a screwdriver up in between the bucket and lid and pry a little bit. You will hear air sucking in when you pry the seal a bit and you'll be able to open it by hand after that. I've probably opened 200 buckets this way :)

I think what happens is that during shipping they stack these things really high and the bottom ones get compressed. Another way is the drill a small hole to let the air in, but then your bucket is no longer water tight.

After his 5th bucket, he switched to the drill method...

f3f64c69.jpg

:D

But seriously, be careful with screwdrivers, chisels, etc.

I had a coworker stab himself between the eyes with a screwdriver while trying to open a paint can lid.

He drilled his hand too, but that was an unrelated fail.

Mr. Ugly said:

I had a coworker stab himself between the eyes with a screwdriver while trying to open a paint can lid.

...sounds like someone who shouldn't handle power tools. :O

gimmito said:
Mr. Ugly said:

...sounds like someone who shouldn't handle power tools. :O

Haha, he's in network and IT now :D

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I used the screwdriver to break the vacuum seal, and the container opened easily! And I learned some interesting considerations from salt mixing as a result of this thread.

Back