Neptune Aquatics

How to prepare for a scheduled power outage ?

henergizer

Supporting Member
PG&E has given a week notice of a scheduled power outage that’s going to last 8-10 hours.

In addition to a battery powered air pump, what else would you all recommend?

Tank is a 29g biocube.

I don’t need a full on generator just yet. When I have a larger aquarium and my own home, I’ll invest in one. For now, just something simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a plan for temperature? Also, inverter plus extension cord to a running car is an easy hack if you really need power. Note that AC needle wheel pumps don't run well off of cheap inverters.
I would skip feeding that day.

No plans for temperature. Maybe cover the tank with towels. I run my tank around 76-77, hopefully it won’t drop too low.

The outage is also mid week so I’ll be out for work.

You can get an air pump that has a battery in it and automatically switches over to in the case of a power outage. If you have a Vortech w/ battery backup is also very useful, I wouldn't worry about light or heat personally as long as your house isn't frigid (although the way the weather has been going..). Any DC powered pump can be jerry rigged to a battery backup, while it might not automatically switch over like Vortechs you can basically hook it up to the battery when you leave for work. The big thing you want for your tank is some sort of water movement, everything else is really minor for small time periods (like half a day).

Game plan for now is to cover the tank with towels. I have a battery powered air pump on the way from amazon with extra batteries.

I would like to get the rechargeable air pump, but it won’t get here in time for the outage.

Most likely going to turn on the pump right before I leave for work.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Back