Kessil

How to Protect Floor from Water Spills?

MolaMola

Supporting Member
Looking to try out something in front of tanks, plankton culture, and sinks to keep vinyl floor from getting so wet during cleaning and water moving activities. Looking for waterproof, absorbent, quick drying, machine washable, and not too expensive. So far, memory foam bath runner is at the top of my list, thought it looks kinda bulky and comfort is not needed. Until now we have just thrown towels on spills, so I am up for trying something better. (This is for use in a classroom; I am not just super messy.)

I have never found anything particularly good.
Most things soak up water, but then do not dry fast, especially with salt water, so you risk mold.

So my recommendation:
Have a couple of full size bath towels dedicated to tank.
Store them nearby
Get in the habit of ALWAYS tossing down a couple BEFORE doing anything, not waiting until after the spill.
Hang them to dry immediately, even just on the side of the tank.
But key - no need to wash them very often. So not adding to laundry hassles.

Is it a solid vinyl sheet (roll on floor) or is it segmented (i.e. tiles or floor planks). IF it's a solid sheet then it's pretty much water proof. If there's a slip hazard then put down those kitchen slip mats. I did this in my fish room area not so much for slipping but so that water could go under and then eventually drain, or in your case keep it as slip free as possible, then when kiddos leave school come in with a mop or towels

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Buffalo...Anti-Fatigue-Rubber-Flat-Mat-RMAT35/100648174

@rygh that is pretty much what we do. except last year I had a few ocd kids who would pick up the towels before they were stepped on or spent their time endlessly straightening them out with their feet, tripping other kids. (Totally want those kids as teacher aides this year. Imagine the sparkling glassware!) thanks for the suggestion and main point of always putting them down first

Is it a solid vinyl sheet (roll on floor) or is it segmented (i.e. tiles or floor planks). IF it's a solid sheet then it's pretty much water proof. If there's a slip hazard then put down those kitchen slip mats. I did this in my fish room area not so much for slipping but so that water could go under and then eventually drain, or in your case keep it as slip free as possible, then when kiddos leave school come in with a mop or towels

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Buffalo...Anti-Fatigue-Rubber-Flat-Mat-RMAT35/100648174

Floor Is those tiles like in department and grocery stores. Slippery when wet and also I think repeated saltwater is not good for them. I was hoping to have something to absorb the water and then hang it to dry. Those mats could be good though. I thought those only had a big lip on the side People would trip over but the one you suggest looks fine on the edges

Yeah swing by home depot (find out online which aisle they're in though, that place is not always put together right), they're not terribly tall at all.
That said depending upon the area you want to cover you could do something simple like plastic sheeting under the mat just to hold all the drips, presuming that's the biggest issue not spills, then simply clean it up after.

@fishdoctor ises some sort of mat when he’s working. Not sure what it is tho.
Yes, I use marine vinyl used for boat seats and interior. It is water proof vinyl on one side and a cloth backing that absorbs some water and drys quickly. It can be found locally at Joanne’s and they often have a 50% off one item coupon. Regular price is about $15 a yard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I use marine vinyl used for boat seats and interior. It is water proof vinyl on one side and a cloth backing that absorbs some water and drys quickly. It can be found locally at Joanne’s and they often have a 50% off one item coupon. Regular price is about $15 a yard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oooh - I will try this also. I got a lighter version of this material from Joann's for my hedgehog's bathroom area but didn't cross my mind for floor. Thanks you guys!

Sweet I'm going to have to remember those mats when I get my fake wood floor down, looks very convenient to just throw down when you're working and then pull up when you're done.

Like that marine vinyl too but man hope they have other colors because that pattern is ugly as sin! :D ... although it may remind you not to leave it on the floor because you don't want to look at it :D

Sweet I'm going to have to remember those mats when I get my fake wood floor down, looks very convenient to just throw down when you're working and then pull up when you're done.

Like that marine vinyl too but man hope they have other colors because that pattern is ugly as sin! :D ... although it may remind you not to leave it on the floor because you don't want to look at it :D

I agree, those are some great ideas. I like the marine one for when I’m doing maintenance since I can put it down and it won’t scratch the floors. I think I may line the inside of the cabinet with the under sink mat. It can go right under the sump.

Back