Jestersix

iCon’s IM 112 EXT Midnight Edition

Here’s a new one for me. They seem to be cotton balls with a dense center. Decoration / filler for shipping or do people use these things? Preference has always been toward ceramic media - Thoughts?

The sump is very cool but lacks a spot to grow chaeto. Wire and tube holders are nice touches.

1717053206093.jpeg

Last edited:
Here’s a new one for me. They seem to be cotton balls with a dense center. Decoration / filler for shipping or do people use these things? Preference has always been toward ceramic media - Thoughts?

The sump is very cool but lacks a spot to grow chaeto. Wire and tube holders are nice touches.

View attachment 56847
I have some in my im15 media basket I picked up, think of them as reusable filter pad/floss. You can rinses them off a few times and reuse them (at a certain point you need to replace them when they degrade). My filter has 4, yours has more cause much larger tank are my thoughts.

Definitely don't toss them out.

I have some in my im15 media basket I picked up, think of them as reusable filter pad/floss. You can rinses them off a few times and reuse them (at a certain point you need to replace them when they degrade). My filter has 4, yours has more cause much larger tank are my thoughts.

Definitely don't toss them out.
Intriguing, thanks.
Why use over ceramic media? Seems like they could become a nuisance to keep clean

These things are more along the lines of mechanical filtration, than biological as the ceramic media is.
Thanks for this. Those were the terms I was looking for!

They’re intended to be filter media. I’ve tossed mine from both my IM tanks. They are more of a pain than benefit IMO. Replaced with typical pad of filter floss that I change out and toss every other day
That was my preconception but I was trying to be open to learning something new. Can't believe you've committed to changing out a filter pad every other day - Be gone with them!

Thanks for this. Those were the terms I was looking for!

That was my preconception but I was trying to be open to learning something new. Can't believe you've committed to changing out a filter pad every other day - Be gone with them!
The definitely suck up more than a filter pad and are good for 5 days or so, but I agree with B nano reefer lmao you will spend 20 mins cleaning them.

how’s the tank doing? i may be heading for my first IM tank. it may be similar to yours. i have space limitations but want that aluminum stand. and may be doing a custom sump.

Well, it’s hanging out waiting for some water.:cool:
  • The stand: A- (Only gripes are the metal shards and the corners of the doors being super sharp and left uncovered)
  • The tank: A
  • The Sump: B+
  • Overall: A- Solid value and quality. Ease of setup.
Wouldn’t have paid for the sump if it wasn’t bundled and the near “plug and play” set up was nice. If you’re at a stage where you still have the patience and time to tinker with plumbing, I’d go custom / different sump all the way.

Two things:
  • The cottony bio ball things are available for free. You pay shipping of... $5?
  • Has anyone stored RODI outside? Long-story short, it's an option and maybe a necessity if I'm to keep my 50g reserve tower.

Two things:
  • The cottony bio ball things are available for free. You pay shipping of... $5?
  • Has anyone stored RODI outside? Long-story short, it's an option and maybe a necessity if I'm to keep my 50g reserve tower.
I'll take the cotton ball thingys.

The one I have now is opaque. Considering getting a black/blued out one. See any issue with that?

UV from the sun is rough on plastics and PVC that doesn’t have UV resistant. Get a box for it otherwise that housing will probably fall apart in a year or two.

The one I have now is opaque. Considering getting a black/blued out one. See any issue with that?
BLUE will work better, my blue canster didnt get the algae over the time but the clear one i had to clean them every once in a while. but def dont leave them exposed to sun. get shaded coverage for RODI unit.

BLUE will work better, my blue canster didnt get the algae over the time but the clear one i had to clean them every once in a while. but def dont leave them exposed to sun. get shaded coverage for RODI unit.
Thanks for that. It’d be in a generally shaded area so it’s an option. Either way, looks like I need a new water tower so open to suggestions on sourcing one.
  • 50g blue/black or
  • 25-30g any color (rectangular in this instance may be a better fit but wouldn’t pay a crazy amount more if that’s a special order type thing)

Back