Reef nutrition

iCon’s IM 112 EXT Midnight Edition

So much waiting :rolleyes:

The old tank(s) have/had eheim 1260/1262’s on them - These newer pumps are something else. The IM came with a MightyJet XL and it’s awkwardly quiet - I’m sure there are better ones out there so there’s more to discover, but wow, talk about feeling like being under a rock! We’ll see how it holds up!

The loudest part of the setup so far is the locline returns breaking the water’s surface. The return is a slight hum, a few ticks more noticeable than our bathroom fans. Maybe it’s time to knock on that huge IM peninsula tank just a bit down south

Just looking at the dimensions more and more while realizing that I’m going to need more rock. If anyone has a lead on some structures (14-16” tall) please give a shout! Hoping to do a cascading crescent of sorts but rockscapes never go as planned :cool:

1717479935520.jpeg
:D

Last edited:
Snapped a quick pic while running out.
Some things I forgot about tank builds:
  • Rockscape
  • Wiring/Cable Management
  • Cloudy water fr sand
This is going to be a build the plane while flying scenario so fingers crossed! Life’s seasons are what they are and we’re going to make the most of it!

“Live” leak test went perfectly - Plumbing was set up and go!

1717515993252.jpeg

Shout out to @Coral reefer for a jumpstart on a new rockscape. After all these years I think this is only the second time I’ve paid for rock - and I’m glad I did. Rock scapes are art, and Mike has nailed it. Functional, interesting, coral placement in mind, and not an awkward mess that’s trying too hard. Sure, you can tinker similar to plumbing, but this was a godsend in a time where plug and play is key to staying in the hobby.

His “showroom” was full of options that felt more like art than dry rock. Picked up two neat structures, stole 4-5 arches plus ceramic media from the 425XL that’s still running, and things are going as planned as can be.

Highly recommend hitting up Mike if you ever need rock scapes. Worth it and twice as worth it to support someone that’s given so much to this club.

Hard to capture the dimensional nature of these pieces. Each one is approx 20-24” L x 16-18” W x 14-15” H. There’s height, depth, caves, overhangs, tiering, tunnels, and great potential coral spots all around.

1717561875193.jpeg

1717561926176.jpeg

Last edited:
It appears that we have hitchhikers… :eek:

1717782008868.jpeg

Love me some Tonga branch - Some of the bigger pieces I’ve come across over the years.

1717782042659.jpeg

Plenty of tinkering to go. The tank is going to have lots of “flowy” corals and fish with a dash of SPS (“Those boring stick things”).

The Tonga doesn’t really fit but I’m set on using it for now. Easy to remove but likely only if setting up another tank :cool:

1717782173260.jpeg

It appears that we have hitchhikers… :eek:

View attachment 57126

Love me some Tonga branch - Some of the bigger pieces I’ve come across over the years.

View attachment 57127

Plenty of tinkering to go. The tank is going to have lots of “flowy” corals and fish with a dash of SPS (“Those boring stick things”).

The Tonga doesn’t really fit but I’m set on using it for now. Easy to remove but likely only if setting up another tank :cool:

View attachment 57128
Love the aquascape and using those branches!

One Month Check-in!

Tank accelerated quickly and we’re all systems go! Euphyllia garden on the right and nem jungle on the left. “Back” upper levels will be a variety of sticks. “Back” lower levels likely a mixture of jawbreakers, gonis, montis, and chalices.

Recent Updates:
  • Fish IN
  • Corals IN
  • Inverts IN (Most important inhabitants: Halloween + Blue Knuckle Hermits)
  • Hydras mounted / Might add a Kessil
  • 1x Vortech added
  • Plumbing dialed in (Quiet!)

In progress:
  • Vortech controller brackets
  • Skimmer - LF/WTB
  • Water change set up
  • Searching for a Pom Pom crab in the old tank
  • Fairy / Leopard wrasses
  • Nassarius snails
  • More corals
  • 2nd/3rd vortechs
  • Camera for live view

1718691941520.jpeg

Some things:

Skimmer IN
Controller brackets IN
RODI Setup IN

Late night pic:

1719074965798.jpeg

No success on the Pom Pom crab rescue but ran into this big guy instead which drew plenty of intrigue and disgust at the same time! About 12” when extended

1719074841274.jpeg

Is that a bristle worm??!!? That’s some crazy looking snake! Nightmare fuel.
I think it was just a standard bristle worm. Nightmare fuel is eunicid. Check those out!
@xcaret pulled one out of a very well-established tank that was ~3’ IIRC!

It’s why I won’t put my hands in the tank at night! Or ever, if I can help it ;)

I think it was just a standard bristle worm. Nightmare fuel is eunicid. Check those out!
@xcaret pulled one out of a very well-established tank that was ~3’ IIRC!

It’s why I won’t put my hands in the tank at night! Or ever, if I can help it ;)
And I agree that’s one nasty looking clean up crew member. No wonder reefers report small fish go missing in large systems.

Back