Neptune Aquatics

I'm back!

For a mixed reef, you can get 48" of coverage. If you want sps growing on the wall, you would need a second one then. I have been happy with my used one and my new one. I ran 1 ap700 over my 54" x 30" for 1.5 years before I added the second one.

For a mixed reef, you can get 48" of coverage. If you want sps growing on the wall, you would need a second one then. I have been happy with my used one and my new one. I ran 1 ap700 over my 54" x 30" for 1.5 years before I added the second one.

I'm not doing a mixed reef

Big bottle of super glue will be here in a couple days. I'll grab a bag of sand from my crappy LFS tomorrow, if they even have any.

Ordered a box of Instant Ocean ($50, Amazon) and a bottle of brightwell aquatics starter bacteria.

3d printing a float valve mount to keep the display tank topped off at 75% while the tank cycles.

If the 3d printing orders stay somewhat steady (the source of my hobby funding) I will order a return pump in 2 or 3 weeks and get the plumbing pieces I need.

After that, I will need a Skimmer. Preferably before I put the first fish in the tank.

Then I will get powerheads. I'm thinking about a pair of gyres.

I found a used 8 bulb T5 + led strips for $175 that would work just fine until I get my dream equipment but I don't need lights for months and it would set other equipment back....

What's your dream light? You can use my radion xr30 gen 3 (need rf chip for mobius) or a gen 4 (mobius) and pay when you can.

I appreciate that. I'm happy to let the tank run without lights for 3 or 4 months. I'll throw some kind of light over the tank just to get some algae growing once there are herbivores in the tank.

I would like to get all my fish in the tank before I put lights on it and start adding corals.

I am considering a few options for lights but an Orphek iCon and two 36" led bars is one of the most cost effective options (other than an 8 bulb T5).

A kessil ap9x with T5 would work well.

A pair of ap9x would be amazing. Huge fan of kessil.

I appreciate that. I'm happy to let the tank run without lights for 3 or 4 months. I'll throw some kind of light over the tank just to get some algae growing once there are herbivores in the tank.

I would like to get all my fish in the tank before I put lights on it and start adding corals.
From listening to way too many podcasts, it seems modern reef keeping theory is moving toward heavily stocking the tank with corals early on to help with nutrient export and avoid some of the problems newer tanks have. Maybe consider a couple large leathers or birds nest corals which would be easy to remove later? These also wouldn't care what light you use and you could simply keep a window open nearby.

Last edited:
@grizfyrfyter- You may also want to rejoin BAR as a supporting member.

As you may recall, people are very generous with corals for other members, so for sure when you get to the point of adding coral it will make sense. Also you’ll be able to attend events, borrow equipment, and you’d be able to sell your 3D printed reefing stuff here too like you used to, to help support your hobby. Since you haven’t already rejoined I’ll assume you have reservations, so no pressure. It’s nice to have you back and active again. I just think you’ll benefit.

From listening to way too many podcasts, it seems modern reef keeping theory is moving toward heavily stocking the tank with corals early on to help with nutrient export and avoid some of the problems newer tanks have. Maybe consider a couple large leathers or birds nest corals which would be easy to remove later? These also wouldn't care what light you use and you could simply keep a window open nearby.
Thanks for that. I haven't heard this theory and will definitely look into it.

My goal was to let as much of the rock mature without light to keep algae from taking hold.

I will have a fuge running before the display lights are even purchased, basically a fish only system for a couple months. Once lights go on, I'll seed with coraline and grab some test frags.

@grizfyrfyter- You may also want to rejoin BAR as a supporting member.

As you may recall, people are very generous with corals for other members, so for sure when you get to the point of adding coral it will make sense. Also you’ll be able to attend events, borrow equipment, and you’d be able to sell your 3D printed reefing stuff here too like you used to, to help support your hobby. Since you haven’t already rejoined I’ll assume you have reservations, so no pressure. It’s nice to have you back and active again. I just think you’ll benefit.
I fully intend on becoming a supporter again, even without the benefits of our generous members. This club is hands down the best I have been part of in the last 8 years and I want to see it thrive.

Reactions: JVU
I'm going bare bottom again. In my experiences, I have a lot more issues with barebottom tanks when they are young compared to sandbeds. I lost a lot of nice mini colonies during this period in my 170 and I'm trying to be more patient this time.

My planned stock list is 6 fish.
Powder blue tang
Purple tang
Yellow coris wrasse (I'll make a sandbox for it to sleep in)
Midas blenny
Pair of clownfish

The ability to just make stuff that I need never gets old.
20220223_114533.jpg

To touch on this again, I used to have a bunch of pulsing xenia in a refugium. It grew so fast and I would harvest and just take chunks to a LFS for store credit when it needed to be trimmed. I don't know how it compares to chaeto but it's more interesting to look at.

Now that my rock work is complete and I see how carried away I got with height (first big tank shorter than 24"), a single ap9x or ap700 mounted high might do what I need.

Back