Cali Kid Corals

In Search of a BAR Treasurer

Wlachnit

Past President
Mark @rygh is graciously going to move over to be our Webmaster from Treasurer. This now means we need a new Treasurer. Tasks and responsibilities include the following:
  • Provide annual projections on income and expenses based on historical data.
  • Keep the financial books of the organization, which shall include tracking all income and expenditures. The Treasurer shall provide a financial report within 2 weeks of a general meeting, and shall submit a budget for the coming year at the January Board of Directors meeting.
  • Pay any predetermined amounts as may have been authorized by the Board, and all bills presented to, and approved by majority vote at a Board of Directors meeting. The Treasurer shall prepare and submit all reports required by any governmental agency.
This is a fantastic opportunity to help out with the club and have a significant voice on the future direction of the club.

FYI: We use quickbooks.
But it is not critical to have experience with it. I had never used it before and picked it up fairly easily
by running online tutorials.

Most things are automatic. The work is largely just importing data.

I can definitely help in the transition.

Can I ask about the time requirements? I don’t have much time and I have zero experience.

I had basically zero experience also. You just need to be decent with computers, and decent with numbers.

I cannot really say how long it will take you to understand quickbooks.
Several hours running tutorials maybe.

Expect to spend 1-3 hours, weekends fine, about once every month, dealing with this.
As you get better, it takes less time.
The good thing is you can be VERY flexible on when to work on it.

The main books can be done quarterly, so 4 times per year.
You will probably need to enter a few things and go to the bank after every major BAR event. Maybe 6 times per year.
You may need to prepare something for the board, or do some simple govt paperwork.
You have to help volunteers prepare for the big BAR events, designating money people.
Far better is to be there of course, and deal with money yourself, but that is not 100% required.

Plus attending Board meetings, which are approximately 4 per year, and occasionally being involved with discussing Board level issues as they come up.

Chris, I think you would be a great fit. You attend a lot of the meetings and are an active member of the club. It would be great to have you as treasurer.

I’m pretty darn busy and my schedule will change in about a year. When that happens I won’t have weekends off anymore and will make it very difficult to attend functions.

Honestly if I didn’t have so much going on with my union at work, I’d probably do it. But I don’t think it’s fair to the club for me to jump in if I can’t commit long term. Plus it may put too much me personally.

My job (air traffic control) drains a lot of my brain power and energy. Plus I’m a board Member in my union with many extra duties there.

I know these are all excuses and because of that I’ll think about it and discuss with my wife.

Thinking out loud here.

Can you go in depth about this. I use Turbotax because I don't want to think about taxes, way back when I was doing 1040ez by hand I hated it and seriously got a case of anxiety disorder just thinking about it.
All you need to do is click a little form on line that you are non-profit and made less than something like $50K.
Takes 5 minutes.
No real taxes needed.

And everyone is free to run against any incumbents as well. Looks like we don’t NEED any other positions filled on the board, but I heard a rumor there might be a new position created to be head of frag swaps... just gonna leave that there in case any one has interest. Two big events per year. You’d be in charge of coordinating all the other volunteers to make it happen. Project manager style.

And everyone is free to run against any incumbents as well. Looks like we don’t NEED any other positions filled on the board, but I heard a rumor there might be a new position created to be head of frag swaps... just gonna leave that there in case any one has interest. Two big events per year. You’d be in charge of coordinating all the other volunteers to make it happen. Project manager style.
That would be a cool position.

Josh, It was great meeting you today. And, we are excited about having you fill the Treasurer shoes! I'll PM you to get you connected with Mark @rygh.
It was great meeting you and John (and Arnold) as well! Look forward to helping. Sorry we couldn’t chat longer, the baby was in need of a nap, lol.

Back