Cali Kid Corals

Inexpensive Chiller Recommendations

That hot at your place Mike? While the upstairs is definitely hot here, the downstairs area is quite nice (relatively speaking), then again I your display is upstairs, so that might do it.

House was at 80 last night upstairs. Tank went up 3 degrees yesterday. Thought it would come down over night, but it didn’t at all. Trying to avoid it going up anymore today

I had to go out of town this (extended) weekend. I added a UV sterilizer recently, adding more heat (about 2 deg baseline) than I was used to pumping into the system.

The day before I left I ran to target and bought their cheapo desk fan (which doesn’t really angle the way I’d like it to), put it in my sump, triggered by my Apex by temp. Kept one of the sump doors open for ventilation. Doing ok but I’ll need to set up a better system when I get home to offset the heat from the UV.

Looking at rigging something through my Apex’s DC24v port. I bought Neptune’s DIY cable for this. Anyone go this route here before?

My fancy chiller setup.
Old computer fan, connected to old 12V supply, connected to Apex.
The problem - my garage is 84 now, while we have AC on in house, so this really should be inside on DT.

IMG_5473.jpg

[QUOTE="JVU, post: 352440, member: 14245"...Looking at rigging something through my Apex’s DC24v port. I bought Neptune’s DIY cable for this. Anyone go this route here before?[/QUOTE]
Hmm, never knew that existed. Cool!
Unfortunately, not many normal fans are 24V. Most are the "industrial" version for big servers. Lots of air, but likely noisy.

Hmm, never knew that existed. Cool!
Unfortunately, not many normal fans are 24V. Most are the "industrial" version for big servers. Lots of air, but likely noisy.
I found some reasonable looking 24v fan options, or a simple 24v->12v stepdown transformer.

My fancy chiller setup.
Old computer fan, connected to old 12V supply, connected to Apex.
The problem - my garage is 84 now, while we have AC on in house, so this really should be inside on DT.
View attachment 12085

I like your approach! I'm playing with the idea of stacking some fans like you have and putting them inside the top of an upside-down funnel-like hood. Placing the hood close to the surface of the water over a sump chamber might produce, I'm hoping, some good low-profile and cheap DIY chillin.

There are lots of no-name clip-on fans out there, I was just curious about the Vornado one since I have 2 other larger fans from them and they are better than the competition, great at focusing the air flow. Not just a gimmick like most other fan companies who try to distinguish themselves with marketing.

I use a Vornado floor fan to evaporate any residual of spilled water under my tank stand, which sits on hardwood floors. If I were allegedly ever to spill water...

Back