got ethical husbandry?

Invited Speaker for 2020

Why do you want a speaker? What does the club want to learn that those that attend don't have some insight into? How will what the speaker discusses make a real difference? That's the questions to ask. Consider who will attend. Their general level and areas of expertise, and then target the person of the most benefit. If you're going to bring in an advanced subject speaker how many will get real benefit?
To me its simple. Knowlegde...

I wasn't indicating in any way that I thought a speaker was a bad idea. I've been pushing for one for a few years. The point was I keep seeing "we need a speaker. How about his guy or this guy? Are we shooting to high? Too low?"
The point was the question should be if we get guy 1 what will he discuss and what value to the greater club is that? Same with each.There should be a reason the choice is made.

I wasn't indicating in any way that I thought a speaker was a bad idea. I've been pushing for one for a few years. The point was I keep seeing "we need a speaker. How about his guy or this guy? Are we shooting to high? Too low?"
The point was the question should be if we get guy 1 what will he discuss and what value to the greater club is that? Same with each.There should be a reason the choice is made.
Curious when you were pushing for speakers, who did you have in mind and why? This info would complete your post earlier.
I think regardless of how advance the speaker is, there will be audience and there will be lesson learned from their talks. These speakers, especially ligit ones, know how to simplify complex topic and package it in practical manner and link it to h9bby practices. This is true for advance marine folks like Rich and DR. Tim and Randy holmes to product folks like Terrance for automation and such.
Further more, I think users especially on BAR are educated and informed enough to be able to follow and learn something. So the way I see it, i rather have a high caliber person and get a mixture of practical hands on experince and scientific analysis..
I also would envision we over time we do multiple speakers and cover wide spectrum of topics which will only increase benifited audience..
What you think?

Maybe Dr Tim could include what you've suggested and cycling with dry rock. I had plenty of trouble.
That's a good topic also. I think with dry rocks you need more patience as the cycle is longer. Otherwise you ise bacterial based aystem like zeovit or biodigest. This shorten the cyxle significantly. But no better than Dr. Tim to talk about such topics.

Looks like I owe Liz and a few other people an apology. I'm told people thought I was attacking Liz in this thread, and nothing could be further from the truth. It's actually kind of comical and my fault. I never read far enough back into the thread to even see Liz's post. Stupid me I started reading the thread on page two, and didn't even know this was something Liz was doing -- and it's great. I assumed the club was flying in a single speaker to host a small event and asked a question that I hoped would make people consider why and who would be best and not "just" bring someone in. Whoops.

Next time I'll read a whole thread so I understand it.

Looks like I owe Liz and a few other people an apology. I'm told people thought I was attacking Liz in this thread, and nothing could be further from the truth. It's actually kind of comical and my fault. I never read far enough back into the thread to even see Liz's post. Stupid me I started reading the thread on page two, and didn't even know this was something Liz was doing -- and it's great. I assumed the club was flying in a single speaker to host a small event and asked a question that I hoped would make people consider why and who would be best and not "just" bring someone in. Whoops.

Next time I'll read a whole thread so I understand it.
I knew what you meant. That’s why I answered your questions. Hopefully help people think about who they wanna here and get inspired and help bring people “in” via zoom

@Bruce no worries. Seriously though I was thinking that we started the thread with “what speakers” but if we make this a regular thing, maybe we could move toward “what topics” and then find people who could speak to those topics, so we can cover a lot of different interests. We could even invent topics that we don’t think anyone knows anything about yet to challenge someone to figure it out and then tell us about it.

Update - Rich Ross has gracefully accepted our invite to give a club Zoom talk. The format will be roughly he will talk about a subject for 10 mins and then open up for discussion/Q&A. Question for you all - what topic would you like him to talk about?

I'm curious about captive coral spawning and in what priority and order parameters are being tackled in his team's experiments.

And octopus. More specifically, their intelligence and sentience.

Godfrey-Smith (2016) compares the octopus to the director of a jazz octet. Because of its many capacities, its cognitive capacities are not incommensurable with human ones. However, because of its invertebrate nature and niche, this intriguing animal also seems very far from our species. Does it have a mind? Mather (2019) gives a thorough description of the capacities of the octopus, arguing that it does. (https://www.wellbeingintlstudiesrepository.org/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1514&context=animsent)

One idea that was brought up when we were discussing ideas with Rich was to chat about our BAR mission statement- It’s history, our current relationship to it, and where we should go with it in 2021.

Rich was one of the founding BAR members and involved in writing the Mission. I think his passion for the ideas behind it shows in everything he does professionally.

The Board also is interested in focusing more on the Mission, but it’s easier said than done and some brainstorming could be interesting.

With the involuntary reset 2020 has gifted us, it feels like a good time to take stock of ways we can improve the club next year.

Back