Cali Kid Corals

Jeff's Classroom Tank Journal

The nitrate and phosphate did not kill your fish and snails, so you should keep looking for a cause. Are you testing nitrite? It is toxic and could be spiking now.

Are the other fish dead? or just the one? The snails you can smell if they are dead. You can add carbon and Polyfilter to see if any metals or other stuff is in the water. The pad will change colors.

I have snails and two clowns as well as a torch and a couple other corals. I have a media caddy in one of the overflows with a carbon sponge, standard sponge, and added Phosgaurd in one of the chambers this morning, The other side media caddy has marine pure ceramic balls and a pouch of chemi-pure. Will bring in additional testing kits tomorrow as all i have to test with in the classroom is the phosphate and nitrate tests.

+1 on Poly Filter, it's a rather cheap way to absorb toxins (they're used in kidney dialysis from what I understand), and they do change colors if there's anything really nasty that they absorb so you can pick up on that.

(they're used in kidney dialysis from what I understand),
As far as I’m aware this is not true. There are some polymers in development that may someday do this, but it won’t be Poly Filter. Dialysis is more analogous to RO with selective diffusion of small waste molecules and electrolytes across a dialysis filter.

Outing myself...tested all parameters today. Salinity was 50! somehow the water changes I've been doing jacked things up. Fortunately I had some RO and did a quick change. down to 40 and tomorrow will right the ship with another change. I feel terrible. The clowns have been fine, but the blenny was super unhappy and checked out. The blue tip NEM is holding its own right now. Pretty big lesson learned...need another refractometer for sure!

Outing myself...tested all parameters today. Salinity was 50! somehow the water changes I've been doing jacked things up. Fortunately I had some RO and did a quick change. down to 40 and tomorrow will right the ship with another change. I feel terrible. The clowns have been fine, but the blenny was super unhappy and checked out. The blue tip NEM is holding its own right now. Pretty big lesson learned...need another refractometer for sure!

Wait! Do not adjust salinity too quickly. Rapid change can be really bad. Although down is better than up.
Suggest looking ideal rates up online. (I don't know what it is)

6b43dcc0e580c689210e426c9cd52f2f.jpg

Detached from the rocks but now against the glass. Turn back on return pump??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the return pump doesn't suck in--but there's a small Hydor powerhead that tried to eat it the night I put it in!

are there covers for such small heads?

Back