got ethical husbandry?

JVU’s RSR750

JVU

President
BOD
I figure I’m way overdue to write up my current tank, which I started in the Summer of 2017.

I’ve been reef-keeping continuously since about 2000, and have had 3 tanks sequentially during the time, each progressively larger and more complicated (and more successful). My first was a 45 gallon bow-front without a sump, with HOB fudge and HOB skimmer, almost no testing, some hand dosing by guesstimation but mainly water changes, mostly softies and easy fish. Several of my current fish are from that first tank. My previous tanks were pretty limited by time and cost constraints, largely on auto-pilot, but still a lot of fun.

With this tank, I decided to try to “do it right” by figuring out and using some of the best options in each category, and giving myself a larger budget to match. Since it’s in the family/TV room, aesthetics, tidiness, and quiet running are almost as important as function. My wife and I decided I’d have only 1 tank, so I wanted to have lots of diversity within a single mixed reef tank, which has it’s own challenges.

Equipment:
Tank: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL (160 gallon display)
Controller: Apex 2016, Fusion
Lights: Kessil AP700 x2 (recently upgraded to Kessil A360X x8)
Flow: Gyre XF-250 x2
Return: Reef Octopus Varios 8, run at setting 3/5
Skimmer: Reef Octopus Regal 200INT with Varios pump
Refugium light: Kessil H380
Carbon reactor: BRS Deluxe reactor, originally with MJ1200 pump
Reactor media: ROX 0.8 carbon, GFO high-capacity, mixed
UV sterilizer: LifeGard Pro-Max 55 watt
UV/carbon pump: Innovative Marine MightyJet midsize
Heaters: 300W Finnex titanium heaters x2, controlled by Apex, backup InkBirds x2
Dosing: DOS x2, Triton Core7, DDR for parts 1 & 2, DIY container for 3a & 3b
ATO: Tunze ATO from a 5 gallon bucket
ATO of ATO: Tunze Water Controller fills the 5g bucket in batches from the RODI
RODI: Prefilter, carbon x2, 100 gpd membrane x2, DI x2
Other Apex accessories: Water alarm sensors x4, AFS feeder for when away

I’ll start out with some pics from a couple days ago right before I changed out my lights. I’ve done a lot of research, tinkering, experimentation, and changes throughout the process, some of which may be interesting to people. In upcoming posts I’ll fill in lots of other details (not particularly in chronological order) as I get the time.

Some iPhone pics I snapped just before I switched over my lights this week:

503141EF-600B-43F0-9669-A527B2C5CD6E.jpeg

57762739-EEF1-4816-830D-DE74BCF7981E.jpeg

B7423B76-BD92-4DF3-9727-31AA0C9105D7.jpeg

B6DF0BD4-EEB3-4FB6-9C0D-FB809EC4A25B.jpeg

8917D29E-B719-4146-AD0B-E5E8463A4D5A.jpeg

D4B9B479-D3A8-45DD-B9DE-59F9C765DEAA.jpeg

D74861A0-F66B-4E3A-AD51-12741D3AA8C3.jpeg

nice! No wrasse in your tank? Maybe that’s why I can’t keep zoas in my display tank...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: JVU
Vibrant! Things are looking great!
What is that green monti (?) with purple tips - center, back? Nice chalice - red with green edge. Is that a pavona - at left, leaflike growth? How about that yellow-orange stuff on the rock to left of the beautiful clam?
So you mostly have areas of similar-type corals? Is there different light or flow, say on the SPS?
Will be intresting to follow your future posts about the switch to the new lights...

Vibrant! Things are looking great!
Thanks Maureen!
What is that green monti (?) with purple tips - center, back?
Monti spongodes (from Will)
Nice chalice - red with green edge. Is that a pavona - at left, leaflike growth?
I think you’re talking about my purple photosynthetic sponge. It was a hitchhiker but has grown out nicely and I like it. I’m going to be trimming it back soon though because it’s been bugging the corals around it. If my fragging is successful you can have one if you’re interested.
How about that yellow-orange stuff on the rock to left of the beautiful clam?
Jack O Lantern Leptoseris. I love the fine detail in that one when you look at it up close.
So you mostly have areas of similar-type corals? Is there different light or flow, say on the SPS?
Yes, sort of. There’s more light and flow higher up in the tank, and variable areas of both in the different sections/crevices/sand. There’s definitely trial and error involved, and when something is successful somewhere I usually leave it.
Will be intresting to follow your future posts about the switch to the new lights...

Looks good. A true mixed reef. Much more grown in than when I saw it a year ago. What level do you run your nutrients?
Thanks Will!

I run them pretty low, like nitrate less than 2 and phosphate less than 0.1. But I don’t obsess about it. I feed a lot and export a lot and test for those infrequently, like maybe twice a month or if I see an issue. When they creep up I dose a little NOPOX, and if I’m getting residual unbalanced phosphate (that happens with NOPOX in my experience) I mix some GFO in my carbon. If they bottom out I feed a little more and skip the NOPOX.

So what’s the nice watermelon looking chalice?
Pretty sure it’s an Echinophyllia chalice. I think it would be considered a type of watermelon chalice based on coloration, but I’m not sure of the fancy name.

I think I got it from @fishdoctor when he hosted a fragging event in 2017 (unless I’m remembering a different chalice). Maybe he knows the name? Mike, you’ve asked me before, and I’d like to figure it out since it’s really a beauty.

What is the leafy looking stony coral above the purple sponge?
I am really drawn to the photos - so colorful without too much blue light

What is the leafy looking stony coral above the purple sponge?
I am really drawn to the photos - so colorful without too much blue light
ORA potato chip coral (Pavona)

Thanks, I have it bluer in the mornings and evenings and whiter during the day. Different corals stand out with different lighting.

That sponge looks sweet! Great color. Always been a little paranoid to get sponges after hearing tales of mass destruction when they go south, any bad experiences with yours?

Back