Reef nutrition

Knock off / Clone MP10- MP-40

Looks like it uses suction cups to hold the dry/wet side to the glass :confused:.
Looks like maybe it's both - it does specify glass thickness, which says magnet to me?

If it's both it's a pretty awesome solution to when one of the sides just falls off the tank after removing the other, which used to drive me absolutely crazy when I had an MP40.

Yeah it does look like that. If you listen to Doung from Boston reefers. He doesn’t like mp’s because of the magnets. He says it’s a failure point in the design. That over time. It grinds the impeller into the body.

Screenshot_20240924_162836_Chrome.jpg

here you go

I really like the no cords aspect of the vortechs, and would be interested to hear how these work out. The suction cup aspect seems neat if it helps prevent a knock from destroying the dry side as it falls to the ground because you forgot to use a sticky cable holder. I feel a bit weird about a knock off taking the idea they first developed, but there also hasn't really been innovation on these vortech pumps since the first time I remember seeing them back near 2000.

I wish there was a way for them to support a form factor with a pivot though. I've started using some other types in my frag tank, and as long as I get the cord threaded against a hidden area or black wall, I find being able to point it at things valuable.

It'd probably be very inefficient, but I wonder how much current can be passed through a glass panel. Wall electric => magnetic dry side => internal magnet => electric inside => final pump.

Effectively use the two magnets as a power transfer so you don't have to run a cord through. Alternatively I wonder how long until Red Sea starts selling a tank with integrated powerheads and no visible cords. Seems like you could do a lot with a bulkhead to run a cord through attached to a PVC riser behind the tank, without having to go all the way to a closed loop.

Sorry for the minor thread hijack.

I'm pretty excited if these patents are expiring. It means an open opportunity for people to take existing ideas and take them in all kinds of directions, allowing more visions to come true than just one company's, and hopefully means that prices will fall + more options.

I wish you could angle them too, but I agree with you about the efficiency problem - the tech is not there. With Apple magsafe, even with all the orientation magnets, with the two coils being millimeters apart, etc, it's 15 watts for all regular and pro phones up until the 16 series, which still is just 25w. For reference, an MP40 is 38 watts.

Imagine that, but now both pieces are made to be separated by sometimes nearly an inch and not perfectly aligned. You can always crank up the power, but it creates lots of heat.

I wonder if there's an adjustable 3d-printable flow director you can slap on the wetside, maybe comboed with a nem guard? I attached an image of a inflexible one, but I know there's lots of cool 3D printing tricks now that allow for some degree of mobility (at least until the coralline gets to it, by which hopefully you would get them dialed in?) Until someone makes one I hope this might fit your use case.

For now I stick with my Jebao lol :p $44 pump ftw

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-25 at 12.42.25 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-25 at 12.42.25 AM.png
    536.2 KB · Views: 7
What makes you guys think there is any current going through the glass? It looks to me on how it functions is the same as a vortech. Except they put suction cups for extra support, which is not actually a bad idea.

I wonder if there's an adjustable 3d-printable flow director you can slap on the wetside
They have them:

What makes you guys think there is any current going through the glass? It looks to me on how it functions is the same as a vortech. Except they put suction cups for extra support, which is not actually a bad idea.
We don’t. He was wondering if we could angle the flow by wirelessly powering a directable wet side.

My thought is that it would likely be inefficient and that using a flow director is probably the play, at least until tech gets better

Back