Kessil

Laser beams!!!

Srt4eric

Vice President
BOD
@Thales has been mentioning a laser for pest control. He finally posted a link to get the laser in the notes for episode 42 of Reef Beef. Well Amazon says my laser is 4 stops away. Has anyone used one for pest control? Any tips @Thales?

I have a laser for this, it was supposedly a good one a few years ago when people were excited about this. It’s pretty underwhelming.

Can you repost the link to the one you got here for people?

I tried it. Didn’t work for me. I guess it depends on what your trying to kill. Adaptasia just burns the heads and they retract into the holes. Doesn’t kill the root so it spawns.

Tenacious D pick of destiny !! Laser beams activate!! I've had some buddies that worked in livermore at the lab that built some cool lazers in the past that were pretty strong that worked but only issue if anything swam through the beam ended up with a permanent blind eye!!

So they switched to underwater welding torches and had better success that really fried the aptaisa down to the base in the rocks!.. I wasn't into saltwater tanks back then but was cool to watch these physic hippy guys routinely dropped acid during their experiments God only knows what thev gave the government tripping on acid at work !!

Just be super careful with those lasers, those are the kind that blind you if they bound off a surface and hit you in the eye, hopefully the eye protection they give you is appropriate... but for that low price who knows! Also try not to blind your fish either, reflections are a bitch.

I've had 1 for a while. When focused right, you can hear the popping and hissing as it burns whatever you are trying to burn, As to its effectiveness on aiptasia, its hit or miss. I've definitely knocked a few down but some just come back in the same spot.

@Srt4eric @Thales
Any updates on your satisfaction with or use of this laser?

The one I bought a few years ago looks identical but had removable rechargeable batteries. I tried to use it again recently, wouldn’t work and batteries wouldn’t charge. I bought new batteries (was a PITA) and they charge up but laser still doesn’t work, not sure why. So I’m thinking of getting a replacement.

My intended use is to kill clove polyps. Normally I get them with Aiptasia-X once a month or so to beat them back but would be helpful to have this as an option.

Last edited:
@Srt4eric @Thales

The one I bought a few years ago looks identical but had removable rechargeable batteries. I tried to use it again recently, wouldn’t work and batteries wouldn’t charge. I bought new batteries (was a PITA) and they charge up but laser still doesn’t work, not sure why. So I’m thinking of getting a replacement.

My intended use it to kill clove polyps. Normally I get them with Aiptasia-X once a month or so to beat them back but would be helpful to have this as an option.
Its very satisfying to hear the vermitids sizzle and pop

Has anyone figured out a way to use the laser successfully from the top or from inside the tank? There are LONG threads about the lasers but can’t read through them all.

@Srt4eric @Thales

My intended use is to kill clove polyps. Normally I get them with Aiptasia-X once a month or so to beat them back but would be helpful to have this as an option.
It's pretty good and it charges via usb so I love it. If we test correctly on Friday, we will be going away for two weeks, so if you want to borrow my laser let me know.

I bought one a couple years ago also. Was supposed to be high powered, great reviews; also underwhelming. Seemed to just make them mad and reproduce more. Got a file fish and all aptaisia were gone in 2 days. So were all my zoas but lesson learned… lol

@Srt4eric @Thales

What???
Don't have unlimitted supply of Berghia to deal with your aptaisia? I would think you're the last person around here to have an aptaisia problem, LOL:p

What???
Don't have unlimitted supply of Berghia to deal with your aptaisia? I would think you're the last person around here to have an aptaisia problem, LOL:p
Oh yeah I didn’t buy it for Aiptasia.

I have these little brown clove polyps that hitchhiked into my system a few years ago. They spread fast and are hard to control, and they can smother zoas. I usually try to control them once a month or so with lots of Aiptasia-X which works well if you get it right on them, but is a pain and can’t get them in some places.

That said, the laser that I bought several years ago was for Aiptasia control but didn’t work very well for that honestly. These cloves are a lot smaller so I’m hoping this new laser works better on the cloves.

Back