Reef nutrition

Leemar Starphire 290

I have been organizing some of my aquarium photo's and decided to document some of the success story's. Here are some examples. I wish they were ALL success stories, but some coral are definately doing better than others.

IMG_2987.jpg
IMG_2988.jpg

IMG_2991.jpg

IMG_2992.jpg

I won this acro at my first BAR meeting. The first photo is actually a lot bigger than the original frag, but I don't have a pic from when I first got it.

IMG_2983.jpg

IMG_2984.jpg

IMG_2985.jpg

IMG_2986.jpg

Thanks guy's. If anyone is interested.............I used an Iphone App called "Mixture" to write on the photo's. You can also draw on them if you wanted to circle something or put an arrow to point out what you are looking at. Very easy to use and it's free. Seems like it might be handy for this kind of stuff.

JAR said:
Be careful with sunset Monti. I wish I did not put mine on such a big rock,it is taking over!!!

Thanks Jar, I actually read that from you on another tank and am greatful for the advice. It is on a removeable chunk that sits on a larger rock. Approx 8" x 4". I figure that would be an impressive size and I can start it all over if it gets out of hand. I have a few other monti's however that I didn't do that with. I should probably try to figure out a way to get them on smaller rocks. Thanks.

two things:

the two anthias that are not in the group, 10:1 they are actually on the way to be males, but showing no signs :( Very common

Chalk basslets are notorious for internal parasites, I lost my first trio to it years ago. From watching all the ones that passed through my hands as a wholesaler, quite a few come in that way.

BAYMAC said:
two things:

the two anthias that are not in the group, 10:1 they are actually on the way to be males, but showing no signs :( Very common

Chalk basslets are notorious for internal parasites, I lost my first trio to it years ago. From watching all the ones that passed through my hands as a wholesaler, quite a few come in that way.

Well, we now know that one of them is turning male. The other is just sick I think. She is hangin in there, but just stays in the corner of the tank. Won't eat at all. No one is bothering her and in fact it seems the group often attempts to get her to come out and hang with them. I am still attempting to get her to eat and have tried several different foods. Kind of a bummer.

Others are doing very well and are aggressive eaters and swimmers. Any suggestions on the morphing female? If I were to get a few more females.....would that help the two males get along? At the moment I simply plan to observe and see how they interact. They are definately getting more aggressive toward each other, but nothing major. They still hang out together.

As for the Chalk Bass. The two remaining seem to be doing very well. They are not shy anymore and hang out right up front. They eat VERY well and have good color. I am not noticing any deformity to the belly or external parasites. That's about all I know of what to look for. LOL! Anything else I should be looking for?

Thanks for the input.

OK posting this sounds bad but...

watch their butts for stringy poop that never really disconnects. Watching the stomach for odd shapes/swollen is a great way as well. I started treating all incoming Chalks as if they had worms just to be safe. Awesome fish!

Not much you can do for the changeling. At some point it will have to come out, the alpha won't stand for it in a tank that size.

Made a nice, chill, static, mostly FTS video. :bigsmile: You might notice some new inhabitants. Picked up a male and female spotbreast angelfish. They are not a bonded pair however are getting along quite well. They have been in the tank a couple weeks now and are doing very well. She had to get a freshwater dip due to some parasites, however it seems to have done the job. The dip wasn't nearly as difficult as I had imagined, so I will now make that a normal part of acclimation (yes, it should have always been). They are really a fun addition.

[YouTube]5K9RnBuxFwg[/YouTube]

Kensington Reefer said:
Another fine video!
Is that a green hairy brittle star that I see waving its arms in the "air"?
If so...beware they are known to eat sleeping fish.

I don't know if it's a "hairy" one, but it is a green brittle star. I have TWO and they are HUGE!!! Have had them for many years and been considering starting over with small ones again. They crawl over the coral and scratch them up a bit. They are so cool though.

I have had fish dissapear in the middle of the night. No way to know if it's them, but I have seen them eat my snails before. Thx for the info.

Kmooresf said:
Thanks Iani,

The price jump is more than a third, but less than double. I have seen some beautiful tanks at 25." I know this in my head, but the point was to build my "dream tank." ALL or NOTHING kind of thing. Now I'm compromising and while that is part of the process, I wouldn't be if I could just get a FRIGGIN ACCURATE QUOTE!!!!! I only started the process because it was doable on my budget. Now I'm all excited to get going and yet again dealing with THEIR oversight.

Ok.......Deep breath.......................... It's only 3." It's NOT what I wanted, but it's only 3." I'm also struggling a bit with the tank being less than 300 gallons. I know that is a dumb thing to think about, but was set on a 300+ tank. Silly.......I know. I wouldn't be in this hobby if I didn't have an obssessive personality. LOL!

I hope I'm not comming off like a jerk. The folks I have dealt with have been fantastic. Robert and Neptune is awesome..........I am not upset with him at all. Just frustrated on my end. I have already moved my tank room around...........planned this tank for months and months. So I am probably just going to go with a shorter tank. I just have to convince myself it's still gonna be amazing.

Hey, firstly it's a beautiful tank. And I can see lots of hardwork went into it so congrats.

Well, recently I went to same place and after ordering I received the same call from Robert for the price increase,coincidentally it was also about the third, So just wanted to share my sympathy, I know how bad it feels, because you are all excited about this tank buy and then you receive the call for price increase. In my case I purchased it online. It seems this is happening to a lot of people who do business with Neptune. May be its a tactic to bring more business. Who knows. !

By the way because I forced the issue, my tank was going to take two or more months to deliver so I lost the trust and canceled the order. I'm still sad that I do not have the tank!

People seems to like Robert on this forum, so Don't want to make a big deal but its curious coincidence that's all.

Thanks Nish,

Building a tank can be frustrating for sure. In my case it was actually the tank builder who mis-quoted, not Neptune. I was pretty upset, yes. However we got through that and managed to build a great system. Robert and Cerrissa were good about getting back to me when I had concerns, and in the end, really took great care of us. I don't think there is / was any mal intentions........ In fact, Ron and I have really come to trust all the staff at Neptune and enjoy shopping there often.

I sympathize with you for sure, but I do hope you can work it out. There are some fantastic shops in the area, and we like to go to ALL of them. I truly feel it may warrant another chance.......not necessarily to buy a system, but just for livestock, etc. You need to feel good about what you are buying, so I get it if it's not gonna happen. Just be aware that Neptune is VERY supportive of the reefing in the area as well as this forum. I'm a fan, through and through.

I hope you decide to give the tank another shot. It can be a very rewarding hobby. Good luck. ;)

Kris.

Kmooresf said:
Thanks Nish,

Building a tank can be frustrating for sure. In my case it was actually the tank builder who mis-quoted, not Neptune. I was pretty upset, yes. However we got through that and managed to build a great system. Robert and Cerrissa were good about getting back to me when I had concerns, and in the end, really took great care of us. I don't think there is / was any mal intentions........ In fact, Ron and I have really come to trust all the staff at Neptune and enjoy shopping there often.

I sympathize with you for sure, but I do hope you can work it out. There are some fantastic shops in the area, and we like to go to ALL of them. I truly feel it may warrant another chance.......not necessarily to buy a system, but just for livestock, etc. You need to feel good about what you are buying, so I get it if it's not gonna happen. Just be aware that Neptune is VERY supportive of the reefing in the area as well as this forum. I'm a fan, through and through.

I hope you decide to give the tank another shot. It can be a very rewarding hobby. Good luck. ;)

Kris.

That is NEVER going to happen, one thing I hate most is unethical business practices. I might give Neptune another chance if Robert apologize for his unethical and unprofessional behavior, but no promise. I think Diablo corals gets my vote of confidence. Jess always replies to my emails even though I haven't bought anything yet. I would rather go to LA to buy corals if Jess can not get me what I need at good prices.

But that is just my personal preference.

That's too bad Nish.

Jess is fantastic, so I hope you get what you want from him. I do ask that we drop the subject on my thread though. I am a big supporter and fan of Neptune and I think EVERYONE on this forum understands your concerns. I look forward to watching your tank thread. Good luck.

Kmooresf said:
That's too bad Nish.

Jess is fantastic, so I hope you get what you want from him. I do ask that we drop the subject on my thread though. I am a big supporter and fan of Neptune and I think EVERYONE on this forum understands your concerns. I look forward to watching your tank thread. Good luck.

Good for you, and hope it works out for you too.

I have rocks but no tank yet. So I look forward to watching my tank thread too. :p

Back